Short film about Rome

Edit My Images
Yes
I was in Rome over Easter, but only thought to make a film about it on the last day. And it rained and rained and rained, leaving me just an hour or so to shoot it. As such, I didn't manage to go to many different places, or make it a very long film. But I'd appreciate any comments in case I go back in future. (y)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6v434ciuaI

Shot on a 5d mkii, with a 16-35mm f2.8.

Last edited:
Nice video, i go to Naples and Rome every year to visit my parents, absolutely love the place, so much to see, so much history.

BTW in all the years i've gone there, it's never rained :D

Last edited:
It's pretty incredible, yes! I've never been to Naples, though I'd like to one day in the not too distant future. A taxi driver told me there had never been so much rain there in his life, and the Tiber was flowing over all the edges. I had never experienced rain myself, either, so it is very rare.

Yeah last year we were cursing the 40 degree heat lol

I'm loving the quality of the video with the 5dMkii, it looks superb, puts my 600d to shame.

Thanks for the comments!

Yes, the 5d mkii coped remarkably well with blown out skies, I thought - perhaps especially noticeable in the second shot.

The music is copyrighted, so I think YouTube put adverts on and it can't be watched on mobile devices... :crying: I'm a pianist myself, and was tempted to record my own version, but my piano at home is rubbish.

Last edited:
I really liked how you put that video together. Some very interesting shots used

Nice work. I'd lose the shot of the bus pulling up at the bus stop though.... I really don't see what purpose that serves. The walking shots are a bit awkward as well, as are the shots where you've used image stabilisation in post production... they've got that wobbly/shimmery thing going on that always makes me eyes water when viewing on a big screen. How are you filming your walking shots?

Nice processing and colour grading though.

Thanks for your comments!

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with all your points. The bus was a bit of a filler, really, as I barely had any other footage. The whole thing was very unplanned, and rain preceded and followed the short amount of time I had for filming. I only thought of doing a short film on the last day, so it was my only opportunity.

The walking shots are (I'm ashamed to say) just handheld, and as you say, stabilised in post. I didn't have a tripod with me (just a monopod), let alone a steadicam! My visit to Rome was mainly a photographic trip to be honest, but I think next time I'll put some more effort into the filming side as well.

Holding your camera while it's on the tripod or monopod.. we.., actually holding the monopod/camera by the pod itself.. just below the head can make for quite steady shots. Have you tried that? The weight of the pod hanging down kind of counter-balances it and acts as a shock absorber... sort of. You can get some pretty stead shots... at least shots with no sharp movements in them. It's those sharp movements that make post stabilisation look weird.

I have given that a go in the past, although I find it then shakes quite badly from side to side (even if the up/down shake is removed). I haven't tried it with a tripod, I must admit - and thinking about it, that would probably work quite well. Thanks for the tip! (y)

Back