Shots of a Spitfire from a helicopter - advice needed.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
At the end of June I have a 15 minute helicopter flight to photograph a Spitfire at the White Cliffs of Dover and over the sea. It was a Christmas present from my wife.

As I'll only get one chance, I could do with some advice on the best way to get some decent photos.

I'll be using a Canon 450d with the Canon 18-135 lens.

Any tips gratefully received.

If the pilot will allow, take the door off the helicopter and lie on the floor to shoot (with a safety harness) - if he won't allow it, try and shoot through an open window.

Wow, what an amazing gift!!!

I don't shoot aviation, but I'd say a 135mm might be a bit short.

If I were you I'd get out and practice shooting some light aircraft at your local airfield.

If nothing else, hopefully I've bumped your thread Andy.

Cheers.

Dav

without igniting all the **** that this comment usually does (on wedding threads) , think about taking a back up camera - even if you have to hire one for the day - as you only get one chance and this is once in a lifetime event ,imagine how gutted you'd be if your camera failed.

Also is 135 going to be long enough ? (it depends on how close to the spitfire your heliflopter is going to be)

Do you know which Spitfire it is (& who owns it)?

If it's one of the regular display circuit Spits, the pilots are used to flying for camera planes/helicopters.

... maybe the spit pilot can fly as close as he dare, as slow as he dare......

Regular display pilots will come close alongside (a few feet) but only if they know the camera plane pilot and both pilots have worked out the moves beforehand. They're unlikely to come anywhere near as close to a helicopter.

Helicopters = unpredictable air wash, would that be it?

Even so, he should be able to get close enough to get some decent images...

Weird turbulence from the helicopter blades (and the length of the blades) plus a Spitfire isn't very happy flying at helicopter speeds. I've filmed several Spits from a propeller plane (Beech 18) and they came very close, literally a few feet, but the pilots always knew each other extremely well. If Andy's helicopter pilot doesn't know the Spitfire pilot I doubt whether either of them will be prepared to try any close formation flying at all.

Ideally, the shoot needs careful planning but I think it'll be very difficult with only 15 minutes flying time. Andy's best bet is to try and talk to both pilots together before take-off and see if they can work out moves for just one or two shots.

Andy - whatever happens, have a great day. Soak up the atmosphere - there's nothing quite like flying alongside a Spitfire, especially if it's close enough to hear that gorgeous Merlin.

You're going with action stations then? Charlie Brown does a great display with BM597.

Ozei they have been doing this for years with a well rehearsed and well choreographed display. The helicopter maintains a straight track and the spitfire displays around it. Fancied booking myself on but can't justify the cost - v envious of you though.

I'd also recommend hiring a 70-200L f2.8 IS. Have a look on the website (if you don't mind spoiling the surprise) and there is a good gallery to show you shots, angles, distances etc.

You're going with action stations then? Charlie Brown does a great display with BM597.

Ah, I didn't know it was Charlie Brown. He did some stuff for us - a very nice man (a top notch pilot too).

Thanks for the replies so far. The flight is organised by these people, so I have every confidence they know what they are doing!! http://goactionstations.co.uk

Apart from hiring a 70-200 lens for the day, are there any recommendations for settings like shutter speed, exposure compensation etc?

I will be shooting in RAW.

By the way, last year's present was a Lancaster taxi ride, I am very lucky.

Thanks

Andy

The shots will be pretty tricky to be honest, and they'll only get trickier the longer focal length you use. We generally use 1/125 or 1/250 to show movement in the props. The golden rule for shutter speeds is to always use one which equates to 1/10th of the focal length, so on a 200mm lens you wouldn't want to dip too much below 1/250 hand-held unless you were supported. The tricky part however will be the helicopter, as they vibrate like hell.

I'd ask the helo pilot not to hover, but instead crawl forward at a slow pace. This will reduce the vibration in the cabin. Try not to use the sides or floor as support as these pick up the vibration of the rotors more than anything.

Before the spit flies past, try a couple of test exposures using a minimum shutter speed of 1/250s, either in Manual mode or Shutter priority. You don't want to go much faster than this as you'll freeze the motion in the prop and the aircraft will look like it's falling out of the sky in the images. Bear in mind that if you're shooting in RAW, you don't need to worry too much about the images looking flat on the LCD screen as you've got plenty of adjustability; the most important thing is that you catch the shot. Don't worry about exposure compensation or bracketing if you're in RAW either as you have +/- 2 stops either side of your exposure in PP, so just try and get somewhere near a 'correct' exposure.

Use continuous-servo focus (unless you're particularly comfortable with single-servo). Don't worry about your aperture, at the distance the Spitfire will be flying past (particularly if you're hoping to shoot at 200mm) then DoF won't play a big part, so you can shoot with the aperture wide open if needs be. Obviously you want the ISO as low as possible.

However, as I said earlier, the most important thing is that you catch the shot you want. If that means sacrificing motion in the prop to achieve a sharp shot then so be it.

Good luck, shooting from a helo isn't easy but it can be done, and it's bloody good fun!

Thanks for a great reply, tells me everything I need to know. The flight has been put back until the end of July as the Spitfire wasn't available.

I hope I can get at least one good shot!

What a brilliant present, Im very envious

Thanks for a great reply, tells me everything I need to know. The flight has been put back until the end of July as the Spitfire wasn't available.

I hope I can get at least one good shot!

How disappointing for you. I was looking forward to seeing what the shots were like.

Back