Should I buy a Macbook 13?

Cambridge Apple Store has stock, with iLife09. Booked a Personnal Shopper and booked in for tomorrow morning. I'm scared....be prepared for all the newbie Mac questions. In fact is there a mac support expert hotline on here....?

Chris

would you be interested in a used macbook?
If so then PM me.

Cheers

I've got the black macbook (which is now 2 years old! :O)

Almost the same spec, cept I've got 160gb HD and that one has a better graphics chip. Had a PC before that but used big G5's at uni so was used to OSX.

Never regretted moving to it, I bought it originally as I was moving to China and my PC was on its last legs. Only problem I've had is the HD failed a while back, I bought the extended warranty so just took it to he mac store and they replaced it and upgraded it to leopard within a week. I would recommend extended warranty, as they can be expensive to fix otherwise.

I'm still using it now for everything, photo editing, im a freelance designer so use it for that if the company doesn't have a spare iMac / Power Mac, and it does a good job of most things, often have a load of high res tif's open along with InDesign, screen size might be an issue for you, but you get used to it. Also, you can install XP on it anyway, and easily swap and share between both.

You can get more powerful pc laptops for the same money, but I just prefer the ease of use and less time fiddling with it. If your not sure, go to an apple store and hog one for an hour and play with it, chances are you'll get the in house apple geek come and show you round it.

I don't feel the need to upgrade it, and it's 2 years old. Chances are I'll be getting the Pro soon, but only because my lady's iMac is 4 years old and needs replacing soon.

FINAL WORD: PLAY WITH ONE IN THE APPLE STORE AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK

After all the deliberation, soul searching and miserly debate, it turns out that the Apple stores do not yet have any stock of the new white macbook. The guy that I spoke to also recommended that he would not recommend CS3/4 or either the new or the old white book - the dilemma is put on hold until stock comes in (or the new iMac is announced).

Chris

I've already posted above, but noticed this. I'm running CS3 on my current macbook, not had any issues, maybe a slow load up time but no problems with editing. But you might aswell wait for the newer version anyway. Havn't tried CS4.

Did it and it's currently burning my knee - they run hot don't they? Currently doing a full backup and setting things up.

Got a couple of questions:

1. Any idea how to make Safari run in a full window?
2. Getting RSI from not being able to tap the pad - the girl in the store showed me how to change the preferences, but I'm old and I forgot already!
3. How do you 'eject' USB devices?

Apologies - I think there are a lot of questions in the near future!

Chris

Did it and it's currently burning my knee - they run hot don't they? Currently doing a full backup and setting things up.

Got a couple of questions:

1. Any idea how to make Safari run in a full window?

I got fed up with safari and downloaded firefox.

However to solve your problem - Open Safari - drag bottom right corner to the size you want then close it. Next time you open Safari it should be at the size you left it at.

Cant help with the other Q but would like to know

Changing to double taps in System Preferences/Trackpad/Tap trackpad. It was that simple! Now RSI threat free.

The safari issue is resolved to an extent. Got the drag option, but the bar is still across the bottom. Is there no way of getting rid of it?

Still looking at the eject USB issue. Want to disconnect my external drive now that the backup has finished.

Chris

I've not noticed mine running hot, but then my old Dell laptop ran really hot...

1 - Drag the bottom right to where you want it, the green dot at the top left will expand the window to fit what you are viewing.

2 - You need to open System Preferences, it might already be in the Dock, if not click the apple at the top left and select it from that menu, then click track pad from the system preferences (I'm sure it used to be in with keyboard and mouse, but is now a separate option), then select clicking from track pad gestures. While in that menu I also find 2 finger scrolling and tap track pad with 2 fingers for secondary click to be really useful.

3 - Drag them to the trash can (which while you are dragging USB devices turns into an eject icon) then let go when they are on the eject icon. Or you can eject them from the side menu in Finder.

Doh, typed too much/too slow!

It would appear that the dock stays at the bottom of the screen - even if you have i intention of using it. Looks like you can take stuff off of it though. 'tis the dock that stops Safari from filling the page.

Now about to import some photos!

Chris

Go to System Preferences then Dock and you can make the Dock smaller (I also turn Magnification on as I prefer it), and also set the Dock to autohide (I don't like this personally but might suit you)

To remove items from the Dock simply drag them off, you should see something that looks like a scrunched up piece of paper, and then release the mouse button.

I also click the 'Use two fingers to scroll', which I find such a natural way of scrolling that I really struggle using a Windows based laptop. Also on the same Preferences Pane I have 'Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click'.

Hope these help and good luck :)

Hope these help and good luck :)

Thank you - I am finding it all pretty intuitive so far. I think that I have managed to install Gimp - it seems to work okay. Have been playing around with the face recognition in iLife 09 - that's fun and pretty accurate with some faces.

Any other must have apps that I should own and play with?

Chris

Back