Shy kids - what do you do?

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
As above really... I can bring shy adults out of their shell quite well, but with shy kids I'm never that sure what to do.
I'm not a parent myself, and I'm a bit wary of being too jokey or even tickling someone else's children in case it's not how the parents usually are with the kids.
Just wondering if anyone has any tips on encouraging shy kids to get involved with the shoot a bit more?

I've found most kids will come out of their shell if you make a game of it... I admit my experience is medical procedures and not photography, but taking blood for a 2yr old (as an example) is probably one of the hardest things to do (too old for mum or dad to just hold them still, and too young for them to understand)... but a game is good in any language, you just need to find the right buttons

Get down low, talk to them about anything they might be interested in, and get them to take a few pictures as well.
I am currently getting to know the kids in a primary school and there are plenty who are shy and quiet, but most seem to respond well to a little special chat - asking what they like/don't like, what they want for Christmas or birthday, brothers/sisters/friends, food etc. I also pull a few faces, or stick my tongue out - anything to make me seem less like a grown up, and anything to make them feel more like one !
I often use a softbox and make a game of the flash going off on its own (I use a remote release with the camera on a tripod) which also helps as I get them to look into the lens to see if they can tell when it is going to go off - this worked well for class shots of 30 kids at a time, who all stared intently as the camera, then I fired off 2 shots in rapid succession - the second was full of smiley faces as they had just seen the flash fire for the first time.
A single shy child can often respond to being made to feel special, by giving them the remote release so they take the pictures to start,, and finding out a little from Mum or Dad before can give clues as to what they like or dont.
Good luck - now if only I could find a way to get teenagers to respond so easily..!

talk to them without you camera to start :) Then bring your camera out, get them looking at the photos and ask them what they think would make a good photo etc.

If you've got a old spare camera yourself, let them have a play with it as it really gets them involved. ask them if they have any questions.

Back