Sidelit Chaffinch

sawman

Private James Frazer
Edit My Images
No
Not sure if I like this or not! Iwas trying for something a wee bit different.

Female_Chaffinch_sidelit.jpg

James, I echo you're sentiments... i.e. not sure if it works, but it's different.

I like the atmosphere created by the lighting and the added focus on the eye, as a result of the lighting. Importantly, the head and eye are tack sharp, but I'm wondering whether the tail and wing, being lit should be in focus. As the background is black anyway, could you have stopped down the aperture a bit more to get the wing and tail in focus?

The head coyly tilted to one side and eye looking straight at you at your eye level all make for an excellent capture IMHO and definitely thumbs up for trying something different!

Dom

Well it is different from the norm Charlie :) maybe cropping it tighter to the left might make it take on a different look again :shrug: and possibly cloning out the unwanted perch in the bg as that would make the eye concentrate more on the subject.

Should have got it's mate to hold a lastolite for you :LOL:

Surely a little red squirrel would've done that for you, Charlie... all the food you give them it's not much to ask!! :D

A different presentation Charlie - it works for me.

Works for me Charlie, I think sometimes we should treat the small feathery ones like any other portrait and try different lighting. Sometimes works very well, like here.

Andy

I just wish there had been a touch more sun on the top of the birds head. I quite like the light branch behind it though.
As to Reds. They are still with me but I am holding off taking shots just now as I have some VIP visitors from sooth the border coming soon. It would be nice to let them get some good shots to post.

Back