Sigma 1.4 TC problem, might be of interest

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a 1.4 Sigma TC, which is used in conjunction with the 120-300 Lens. Always tripod mounted using the lens collar. Yesterday I was shooting some garden birds and noticed a fair bit of movement when I 'grasped' the camera. First thing I checked of course was that the tripod and mounting bits were all tightened up. Yes, they were fine, the movement was between lens and body. All the electrical connections were working and it was focusing normally but some of the shots were soft looking at them on the lcd. Time to investigate

Removed the whole thing, took lens off, that seemed fine, took TC off and voila!! There was quite significant movement in the TC on one side, the front and back sections were seperating by quite some margin and it was only the secure side that was holding it all together.

Now I got this TC from onestop digital, so I had a choice, send it back to hong kong, wait weeks for its return; send to sigma and pay for the privilege; or have a nosy in there myself. Not being one to shy away from getting busy with screwdrivers...

Undid the 4 little screws on camera mount side and gently lifted that part up. Underneath are 4 more screws, and 2 were very loose, 1 was not tight. I retightened them all, replace the upper element, put other screws back in and done, in about 4 minutes. Attached everything back to camera and all is fine again.

Now I am thinking, with the benefit of hindsight, this may have been initially caused at whipsnade last week, yesterday was the first time I have had the lens/camera out together since. The camera, lens, TC and tripod are so heavy together, lugging them around is quite a job for me, so I probably don't always support the cameras weight as I should, too busy keeping the lens supported, which means the TC is acting as a load bearer between camera body and the lens itself - this cannot be good for it I think.

So, I thought I would post this photographer faux pas as a warning to anyone else that is less than vigilant about these things. I know people will say I should be more careful, but I also know that there will be plenty that will make the same mistake, so I am happy to act as a warning to those folks. Also as an indication to anyone that does have the same problem that it can be repaired quite easily as long as you spot the movement in time. I hate to think what one of those internal screws would have done to the mechanism if it had come adrift completely :bonk:

Please feel free to laugh, but over there, in the corner, amongst yoursleves :p :LOL:

cheers for the tip. i also have this TC but would never admit to problems screwing ;) :LOL:

Thanks for this, I have the same combo-so could possibly save myself a few quid :)

I wonder if that was the issue with my Kenko 300 1.4tc - it always felt as if the lens (the 80-200) was ready to fall off....:shrug:

I've had screw problems with a Sigma 1.4x TC, bit like yours....

Glad I am not the only one then Joe ;)

I had something fail inside mine. All the external screws were fine. £ 35 fix at a Sigma Service agent.

See, I saved myself £35 I reckon :D

cheers for the tip. i also have this TC but would never admit to problems screwing ;) :LOL:

Typical man :p :LOL:

Thanks for this, I have the same combo-so could possibly save myself a few quid :)

No worries (y)

I wonder if that was the issue with my Kenko 300 1.4tc - it always felt as if the lens (the 80-200) was ready to fall off....:shrug:

No idea, but th emovement was certainly very obvious yet the external screws were quite obviously tight :bonk:

MIght check mine out, got some very unsatisfactory results with it on my 100-300 F4 yesterday

Great info, good to know. Thanks for sharing.

-Rob

Back