sigma 10-20 and filter dilemma...

stan the man

Nutkicker
Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
hi folks..i'm looking into buying the sigma 10-20 for landscape work,and have the cokin P filter system..but i'm not sure wether they will be okay for use with the 10-20.

so my question is,..will they work okay,or will i have to get the z pro/lee filter system?

I looked into this and it turned out I would need to Pro-Z or X system if I wanted to avoid vignetting, which are both serious money.

The other alternative would be to invest in 77mm threaded filters and use step-down rings for your other lenses, depends whether you want the ease of use of the Cokin system and multiple filter use or save a bit of dosh I suppose.

thanks both....ideally,i'd like to keep using the cokin p system,but that doesn't seem viable somehow.i dont like the idea of using screw on filters and would prefer to stick with the slide in type,so it looks like i have to change to the cokin z-pro or lee filters which,as you say are serious dosh.

perhaps i should save a bit longer so that i can get them all in one go :LOL:

With the cokin wide angle holder you still cant use the lens at 10mm, but 12 is fine. Doesn't cause any issues really missing the extra 2mm.

Stan ...

Maybe we could help each other here ..... ;)

Having just purchased a new Sigma 17-70mm lens - I am now looking to go to Cokin P filters (currently been using A's). So should you decide to upgrade and want a bit of cashback .....

Cheers

Anth.

Stan ...

Maybe we could help each other here ..... ;)

Having just purchased a new Sigma 17-70mm lens - I am now looking to go to Cokin P filters (currently been using A's). So should you decide to upgrade and want a bit of cashback .....

Cheers

Anth.

hi anth

if and when it happens...we'll talk :D

how d'ya rate the 17-70?also looking at getting one as a walk around lens to replace my sony 18-70...which i'm not very happy with :|

Wide angle holder works fine at 10mm. The only drawback is that you can only use a single filter at a time.

Taking a step back at 12mm to get the same amount of subject matter in is fine for subjects which are close to you. If you are shooting a landscape and need 10mm, shooting at 12mm requires more than just a step back!

Back