Sigma 10-20 or sigma 12-24

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive been looking at wide angle lenses recently, and decided it wouldn't get that much use so didn't want to opt for a Nikon lens.

Ive searched the forum and you all seem to like the Sigma 10-20. Ive searched online and found the Sigman 12-24 and was wondering what the difference is and which would be better for landscape pictures and quality ?

Thanks

- Chris

The 12-24 is an older design and is designed to fit film cameras as well as cropped digital bodies. Also, it takes filters at the rear not the front.

Some people swaer by it, but a lot of people say its showing it's age now.

A better contender against the 10-20 is the Tokina 12-24, which is reputed to be sharper than the 10-20 es[ecially towards the edge of the frame. It's also a constant f4.

Had both, sold both. The Sigma 12-24 is sharper across the entire frame with less distortion, but the extra 2mm makes a big difference and the ability to take front mounted filters means the 10-20 wins for me.

Had both, sold both. The Sigma 12-24 is sharper across the entire frame with less distortion, but the extra 2mm makes a big difference and the ability to take front mounted filters means the 10-20 wins for me.

Ha! wish i had one when i was stood at the spot where your car is in you sig.

Good point about filters, since a circle polarizing filter is quite often used for landscapes.

Scrap the idea of the 12-24 then...so sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24???

Ha! wish i had one when i was stood at the spot where your car is in you sig.

Good point about filters, since a circle polarizing filter is quite often used for landscapes.

Scrap the idea of the 12-24 then...so sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24???

Hehe that photo was one of the fastest I've ever taken, as it was getting dark and we still had to make it to Chamonix before midnight so we could book into a hotel before they all closed for the night. That was a truly epic drive that day and one I will never, ever forget.

Can't comment on the Tokina 12-24 as I've not used one but the CA's seem pretty high compared to the Sigma 10-20, but again the sharpness across the frame will be a little higher judging by the reviews here

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

If you get a good copy of a Siggie 10-20mm your laughing, watch for very bad softness on the right hand side of your shots.

Allan

Back