Sigma 10 - 20mm quality control issues?

Name
Martin Prothero
Edit My Images
Yes
Out this morning at first light to thoroughly test my new 10-20. Frosty morning lots of mist lying in the valleys. Perfect light. Took a few shots using the kit 18-55 and the rest using the new Sig.

Having had a chance to get them up on the 'puter tonight - they are really soft. Considerably less detail (even from raw) that the el cheapo kit lens. Shot all at F11 (10mm) and tripod.

Still need to work out how to post images here, not tried that yet..but I will. (is there a sticky somewhere telling me how?)

Checked out Flicker and most of the shots using this lens look pretty good to me. But I found one guy metion that this was the 3rd lens he has had, as the first two had quality control issues!

Has anyone every heard of the Sigs being very soft? Could I have bought a bad'un?

at first, i thought my 10-20 was really soft on landscapes, have you tried close up on a subject? Mine's really sharp close up, but i think the hindrance with an ultra wide is that because it's ultra wide it can't pick up much detail from a distance, you know with every positive comes a negative and all that :)

I'm seriously considering one... I hope I'm not barking up the wrong lens :cautious:

I will post some example 100 percent crops comparing the two lenses tomorrow...but hey it'll be Christmas eve and who is going to be looking on here?

I bought the lens online from a certain warehouse that is express (am I allowed to say names??) so to return it will mean them being open and me boxing it up and sending back..and then we have Christmas post. I guess I will have to sit on it for a few days?

Thanks for the replies so far, I will look again tomorrow - off to get some sleep now, as my one year old will be up bright and early;)

I have yet to work out the conditions, but my Sigma 10-20 can be VERY soft :( other times it can be really sharp. It doesnt like being wide open like 3.5 in low light :(

I've just got a sigma 10-20 and only tried it indoors so far, but im more than happy with it :D.
The shots I took have all been sharp and were handheld.
Cant wait to use it outdoors, but crossing my fingers that it doesnt go soft on me :LOL:

Perhaps we should start a post of shots with the Sigma 10-20 with no processing, so peeps can veiw for themselves.

Thanks for the linky. I'll try to get some time over Crimbo to post.

Interesting to hear a few others also say theirs is not too sharp. I will take some more test shots at different apertures and in different conditions before posting anything offensive! Maybe f11 is a bit extreme?

Judging by the quality of the lens I think maybe I wasn't giving it a decent enough trial. First impressions can be misleading.

As far as the feel, materials and balance/weight of the lens goes, I am very happy. Lovely to use.

Cheers all - see you on the other side

I've had the Sigma 10-20 for bout 6 months now, and I am more than happy with it. Plenty of enough details for my liking anyways from my lens..
I think the pic of teh old train (posted on Transport) section here was taken on that (or it could be on the 24-70, I had both with me and can't remember which this one was with).

Owned one for a year and it was pin sharp, Sigma have been known for inconsistant build quality though. If there really is a problem with yours I'm sure WE will swap it for you if you get in touch.

Yep send it back, that lens is as sharp as a Canon 17-40L

Ive heard of a few lenses going back to WE for instance a 17-40L with dust inside, finally after two lenses they got their money back. I like to go to a local retailer that will let you test outside the shop, but it depends where you live.

Dave

I had the sigma 24-70ex. This also had a focus problem. I sent the lens back to sigma and they recalibrated it. When I got it back it was spot on.

My 10-20 gets little use as my 17-40 L covers the majority of wide pictures I need. It is soft around the edges but you need to remember it is an ultra wide lens so this should be expected. If it's soft in the centre then I would take it back.

Yep - soft as a soft thing in the middle. Edge to edge is pretty consistant but comparing 100 percent crops from my 18-55 kit lens, looking at the detail in distant trees, there is no question that the kit lens resolves more info.:(
I'll call W E when they are open again and organise an exchange. I have looked at a guy known as Rasome on Flicker and the Sig 10-20 he is using sure aint the same one as me...
Thanks for the replies though. And happy Chrimbo to you all - off for my turkey sandwiches now!:LOL:

Back