Sigma 100-300 F/4 vs Canon 300 F/4L

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, I've been thinking! - Having a zoom would be very useful and I'm going to sell my 80-200 F/2.8L and my 300 F/4L.

The 300 is about 10 years old and returns good results but I wonder if 10 years of R&D will put the Sigma ahead in the sharpness stakes.

The primary use for this lens would be aviation photography :thinking:

I would be interested in the answer to this as well.

I'd be very very surprised if a zoom, even a modern one, would be sharper than a 300 prime, even an old one. Canon have been making very sharp telephoto primes for many years. My 200/1.8 is sharper than a sharp thing that's just been sharpened, and it's 19 years old.

If you want a one-lens solution for aviation photography, and you're a Canon user, then surely a 100-400L is a total no-brainer.

you want a zoom as its handy but are selling one?

i know the Sigma 100-300 (Nikon Fit) is a cracking lens for the cost, very sharp and delivered me some great images, alot of people say primes are shaprer than zooms which i can understand but havent put this into practice.....yet

If your willing to fork out i`d also consider the sigma 120-300 heavy beast so it will have to be on a monopod at least.

If you want a one-lens solution for aviation photography, and you're a Canon user, then surely a 100-400L is a total no-brainer.

Not really, Its very quick to get to its F/5.6 limit. I know a number of lowflyers who use it but I'm really not a fan.

Zooms are nice for when your on the hillside and something big comes around the corner you can simply zoom out a bit (the other choice being to run up the hill as quickly as possible).

You may be right about the sharpness though...

If your willing to fork out i`d also consider the sigma 120-300 heavy beast so it will have to be on a monopod at least.

Its on the list, I'll be trying it soon :D

I don't like 2x TC's I don't mind 1.4s but 2x's are just too lossy for me.

Back