Sigma 105 macro lens

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I've bitten the bullet and bought a Canon 450D with the 18-55m lens kit, plus the Tamron 70-300mm dual function lens.

I know I should have asked advice here before buying, but too be honest my head was spinning with all the information I've been trying to take in allready :)

I have no idea what the lenses do. I assume the kit is for standard type photos, and the Tamron, though for zoom, I have no idea what it equates to in terms of 18X

The reason for the title, is after seeing others pictures with the siggy 105, I wondered if this would fit the camera I've bought?

Plus any simple to understand information on the lenses, sorry my head hurts at the mo :)

Oh and please don't tell me it's rubish and I should have bought X or Y :LOL:

hello you
i have the same setup. i added the sigma 105 and some kenko tubes and love them to bits. i dont use the tamron so much now but it was ok as a starter lens. next purchase for me will be a better wide angle lens than the kit lens. probably a sigma 10-20. also be careful of getting sucked in by Alby, his pics make you spend tooooo much dosh :eek:

The 105 siggy is a great macro lens. Others rate the Tamron highly as well. Never used the latter but can put in a very good word for the Sigma 105. (y)

The Sigma is a great lens. I am seriously thinking about sueing Alby. He has cost me a fortune!

The 105 siggy is a great macro lens. Others rate the Tamron highly as well. Never used the latter but can put in a very good word for the Sigma 105. (y)

Thanks for the encouraging confirmation:)

hello you
i have the same setup. i added the sigma 105 and some kenko tubes and love them to bits. i dont use the tamron so much now but it was ok as a starter lens. next purchase for me will be a better wide angle lens than the kit lens. probably a sigma 10-20. also be careful of getting sucked in by Alby, his pics make you spend tooooo much dosh :eek:

Alby beware warning taken note of :)

Thanks for that reply, so it looks like I have a reasonable starting base then, and the fact the siggy fits the camera is a big bonus. Do I need the Kenco tubes for it, or an adaptor of any kind? And how much zoom do I get out of the Tamron ?

i use the 36mm tube a lot, gives a nice working distance and fills the frame well with our range of bugs. cant help you with the range of the tamron, too technical for me :LOL: i just know it makes things a bit closer :D i tend to use my 100-400 now if i need long range. the tamrom is a bit naff in low light, ie sunset. on a nice sunny day its good. i have had some nice gulls in flight shots with it.

The Sigma is a great lens. I am seriously thinking about sueing Alby. He has cost me a fortune!

Thanks Dave :)

Join the long queu :)

I take it I have to buy a flash for this as well, any suggestions, tight budget and simplicity in mind please.

Thanks Dave :)

Join the long queu :)

I take it I have to buy a flash for this as well, any suggestions, tight budget and simplicity in mind please.

what are you gonna use it for ? bugs?
if so you want a flash bracket as well. i got the jessops flash for about £100, canon fit and it has ttl and does a fine job. spose a proper canon one is better but funds dictated that buy. flash bracket and bits about £20. camera sync cable about £58 i think
skint yet Ant? :LOL:

i use the 36mm tube a lot, gives a nice working distance and fills the frame well with our range of bugs. cant help you with the range of the tamron, too technical for me :LOL: i just know it makes things a bit closer :D i tend to use my 100-400 now if i need long range. the tamrom is a bit naff in low light, ie sunset. on a nice sunny day its good. i have had some nice gulls in flight shots with it.

I see the tube gives more screen space? I probably sound dumb, no apologies though :)

if so you want a flash bracket as well. i got the jessops flash for about £100, canon fit and it has ttl and does a fine job. spose a proper canon one is better but funds dictated that buy. flash bracket and bits about £20. camera sync cable about £58 i think

Bugs as well as all the other stuff I've been doing with the Pany and Raynox

Starting to feel a bit queesy now :D

Keep an eye out for a second hand Speedlite 430EX.

Thanks Dave :) I've had a look, and most are going for over £100, apart from a fellow on ebay that said he wanted £50, no instructions or box. Iffy.

So I went for the Jessops one.

Why do I need a flash bracket, Dave? Would it not work as well centre mounted?

Think how close the bug is gonna be to the lens, the flash will not light it properly so ideally you want the flash at the front of the lens or just off to the side.

Remember to consider the siggy 150 macro as well, I borrowed carlzola's over the weekend and it is amazing for macro :D

Back