Sigma 105mm vs Canon EF 100mm for macro

Name
Nicolas
Edit My Images
Yes
well I've been looking for a good macro lens to do some extreme close up shots of bugs and was wondering what is the better out of the two lenses the only other lens i can find for macro shots is canon MP-E 65mm but that is a over my budget but it does look like a great lens i was wondering weather it would be worth me saving for or if the other two will suffice mainly I'll be taking little bug shots so which is the best out of the lenses?? (also any example shots would be great to look at!)
Thanks for any help(y)

There's lots of choices - Sigma 70mm, Sigma 150mm, Canon EF-S60mm, Tamron 90mm.

All of them produce great results so it's really a matter of if you'd use it for anything other than macro and/or price.

I have the Canon 100mm and some say it should be L glass, I know mine is very good, I have no experience of the Sigma, I once tried Sigma but it caused error messages on my LCD so I stay clear(y)

The MPE 65 is a fantastic lens and a true macro lens at that, produces fantastic images, my buddy uses one although he uses a Manfrotto head to adjust focus when on the tripod, he says it allows finer adjustment:shrug:

I will be using it only for macro shots I was just wondering if anyone knows the maximum focus on a mp-e 65mm And if it is any good for water shots??

I suspect the MPE-65 isn't the best choice for water shots as the min. magnification is 1:1 you'd be filling most of the frame with the drop, no chance of getting a splash in there too.

The maximum focus distance for the mpe-65 is 100mm, at that you will get a maximum DOF of 2.25mm so I would imagine it would be virtually imposible to use for water drop shots.
Others might disagree but imho if you buy the mpe-65 you also need to factor in the cost of a ringflash or a flash bracket and off shoe cord, or make your own flash bracket, as above 2-3x the focus distance is so small it's the only way to light the shot properly without the lens cutting out the light from the on shoe flash.

As for other dedicated macro lenses there is very little difference in IQ between them all, so whatever you choose will give great results.

got my sigma 105 F2.8 EX DG macro today,from spectrum in tottenham court road(official UK dealers)for what WE were selling it for..and no postage to pay (y).not tried it yet,as i've only just got home...but soon will,so look out for the results on here soon...:rules:

one thing nobody else has mentioned is working distance on a macro lens, i.e for a canon 60mm macro, to get max magnification (1:1) you will have to get much closer to your subject than say a Sigma 150mm macro or even the Canon 180mm macro, i'd imagine the canon 100mm and sigma 105 will be pretty much the same, about 15cm i think (may be wrong, can't be bothered going to check my 100mm macro :D)

From what I have seen with macro lenes they are all good, I have the Tamron 90 and the wife the sigma 70, both of which produce good images.

I would suggest going to a good dealer and trying a couple to see which feels best to you

I recently had the same dilema and after a few weeks of pondering I went for the Sigma 105. I havent looked back since. A fine lens. AF is slow but true Macro is normally MF anyway. Its a great lens.

SB

Back