sigma 12-24 and filter

knocker

Suspended / Banned
Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
i know there is a problem using polarising filters on this lens, but will a uv filter fit the 82mm lens cap thread without causing vignetting of other such anomalies ?

If this is the lens I think it is - Sigma 12-24mm for full frame - then you cannot fit any filters to the front of it. It has a huge bulbous front element. It takes rear-mounted filters.

i know there is a problem using polarising filters on this lens, but will a uv filter fit the 82mm lens cap thread without causing vignetting of other such anomalies ?

Okay, just tried the Sigma 12-24 EX DG on my cameras:

On a 1.6x crop body (30D) there is no vignetting at any focal length, I would suggest the use of a slim filter though and you would need to watch out for flare if shooting into a light source.

On my FF body (5DMk2) there is vignetting up to about 21mm (without a poloriser) so would suspect that even with a slim filter there would be some degree of vignetting at all focal lengths.

I do not have a 1.3x body but would suspect it would probably be okay from about 15-16mm upwards (maybe less if you are lucky).

If this is the lens I think it is - Sigma 12-24mm for full frame - then you cannot fit any filters to the front of it. It has a huge bulbous front element. It takes rear-mounted filters.
I agree.

Okay, just tried the Sigma 12-24 EX DG on my cameras:

On a 1.6x crop body (30D) there is no vignetting at any focal length, I would suggest the use of a slim filter though and you would need to watch out for flare if shooting into a light source.

On my FF body (5DMk2) there is vignetting up to about 21mm (without a poloriser) so would suspect that even with a slim filter there would be some degree of vignetting at all focal lengths.

I do not have a 1.3x body but would suspect it would probably be okay from about 15-16mm upwards (maybe less if you are lucky).
This doesn't make any sense to me, Ed.

Firstly, if you've got a Sigma 12-24mm which does take filters then I think we need to clear the air and establish how many variants of this lens there are (and what the OP has). The one I have - and presumably HoppyUK too - is the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM. This has a bulbous front element and simply won't take a filter. Is there a different kind of Sigma 12-24mm and if so what is it?

Secondly, any Sigma lens with "DG" in its designation is a full-frame lens. You certainly shouldn't be seeing any vignetting, even on your 5D, even at the widest zoom. A little bit of light fall-off towards the corners, sure, but nothing that would be relevant regarding the use of filters.

It's an excellent lens. I must admit, I hardly ever use mine and I'll probably sell it soon.

I agree.
I still don't agree!

This doesn't make any sense to me, Ed.

Firstly, if you've got a Sigma 12-24mm which does take filters then I think we need to clear the air and establish how many variants of this lens there are (and what the OP has). The one I have - and presumably HoppyUK too - is the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM. This has a bulbous front element and simply won't take a filter. Is there a different kind of Sigma 12-24mm and if so what is it? No, and you are incorrect it will take a filter hence the 82mm filter thread built into the protection ring!
Secondly, any Sigma lens with "DG" in its designation is a full-frame lens. You certainly shouldn't be seeing any vignetting, even on your 5D, even at the widest zoom. A little bit of light fall-off towards the corners, sure, but nothing that would be relevant regarding the use of filters. Again, this is because you need to use the protection/filter ring which then encroaches on the AOV and causes vignetting

Stewart, Have a look at the lens cap/ring that comes with the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM, at the very front is a 82mm lens cap. if you take the lens cap off the ring you have the facility to fit an 82mm filter to the ring which when left on the lens will cause vignetting with full frame cameras, hence why you normally remove it to use the lens. If you use this lens on a 1.6x crop body, there is no requirement to remove the ring only the actual lens cap, this does not vignette even at 12mm on my 30D and you can therefore use 82mm filters.

I am very surprised you were unaware of this! I'm pretty sure I read it in the manual!

Sigma 12-24 Set

12-24set.jpg

Sigma 12-24 no ring, no cap

12-24.jpg

Sigma 12-24 ring fitted, no cap

12-24ring.jpg

Sigma12-24 ring & cap

12-24cap.jpg

Is the lens hood permanently fixed to the lens ?

Is the lens hood permanently fixed to the lens ?

The petal hood is permanantly fixed to the lens, but with your D300 you should be able to get away with leaving the protection ring on and just removing the lens cap. If you were to use filters on the protection ring (it has an 82mm filter thread) then you may well need another lens hood beyond that to prevent flare from any stray light hitting the filter!

The petal hood is permanantly fixed to the lens, but with your D300 you should be able to get away with leaving the protection ring on and just removing the lens cap. If you were to use filters on the protection ring (it has an 82mm filter thread) then you may well need another lens hood beyond that to prevent flare from any stray light hitting the filter!

Thanks Ed, i was thinking more for the near future, as i may be moving up to a D700 so am really looking at FF lenses now, i was looking at this one and the sigma 15-30mm, won't be till summertime anyway so gives me time to have a look and compare :)

I see what you mean Ed, but this seems like a very Irish way of doing things.

It's a full frame lens, and putting any filter on the front of that lot will vignette so much that it completely negates the use of the very wide angle, which is surely this lens' only virtue. The OP has a full frame 1D2.

If you put it on a crop camera you may not get any vignetting, but you won't get much wide angle either. It would be much better getting something like a 10-20mm zoom for a crop, especially given the price of a decent 82mm polariser, which must be £100 or more.

This is my second most used lens for personal stuff after my EF100mm Macro. Very sharp corner to corner, not too much distortion (a little barrel evident here but easily fixed if I could be bothered), great DOF and an amazing AOV on a FF body. I don't use it often on the 30D (mainly because I don't use the 30D often).

But just to show how little vignetting there is when used with the protection ring in place on a crop body, well they do say every picture tells a story:

12-24 @ 12mm (exif data should be intact) on 30D with ring on front very, very slight vignetting.

12-24pic.jpg

Crop

Crop.jpg

I see what you mean Ed, but this seems like a very Irish way of doing things.

It's a full frame lens, and putting any filter on the front of that lot will vignette so much that it completely negates the use of the very wide angle, which is surely this lens' only virtue. The OP has a full frame 1D2.

No, he has a 1.3x crop 1D2 which only takes FF lenses and will not take EFs lenses like the 10-22 So he would be limited to a 16-35L (21-46), a 17-40L (22-53) or a 14L (19) all of which are considerably more expensive than a Siggy and a filter would be he would still have to buy a filter for any of the other lenses too, he can also use the Sigma 12-24 (approx AOV 18-36 on his 1D2) without the filter to give him the benefit of a much wider AOV than any of the other options.

If you put it on a crop camera you may not get any vignetting, but you won't get much wide angle either. It would be much better getting something like a 10-20mm zoom for a crop, especially given the price of a decent 82mm polariser, which must be £100 or more.

Still considerably cheaper than a second lens (and filter) if you have both FF and crop bodies.

Sorry! My mistake Ed - brain fade! I don't know why I was thinking the 1D2 was full frame. Doh!

Now the whole scenario makes sense, and I imagine the OP will find your answer very helpful. Unlike mine ;)

PS I prefer your avatar :D

right,so according to what has been posted, i can use the 12-24 on a 1Dmk2 and a 40D without any vignetting (or very little) if i remove the ring and cap, however, if i leave the ring on i may be able to use a uv/protection filter but this will more than likely cause vignetting and i may need an extra lens hood.....so if i ditch the filter plan, the lens should be a good purchase and enable me to take decent indoor/outdoor shots, correct or not ? :thinking:

using this calculator

http://www.digified.net/focallength/

i will get 15-31 on the 1Dmk2 and 19-38 on the 40D which is just about what i need for my plans

one more thing, are there any problems using a flash with the 12-24 ?

many thanks for the replies, i love this forum :love:

I use the 12-24 on my 5D and 30D without any vignetting to speak of on either. I doubt you will regret the purchase, it is a really good lens. Some examples pictures here.

You will not see any vignetting on your 1D2 or 40D if you remove the ring and cap!

Can't help with the flash, should be okay if you diffuse it or bounce it, it may not have the coverage at the wide end if you use it directly.

thanks ed, not too worried about the flash as i doubt if i will ever use flash with this lens, i am off to buy it then :D:D

Great link to those images Ed :)

I think I've commented before on them. They're a great advert for the lens and what you can do with such a massively wide angle. The light is lovely too, and you've done a great job of correcting the verticals. I wish other people would take the trouble to do that - it's so easy! Really nice work :)

Thanks (y)

Uncorrected verticals unless it's done specifically for effect is one of my pet hates too! :nono:

As said, I do like this lens, and although I would love a really wide perspective control lens, but they are silly money, and by shooting at 12mm on my 5DMk2 I can always leave enough room to allow the verticals to be corrected fully when required.

Back