Sigma 12-24 playing about

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Some of you may have read my first thoughts on this lens ealrier. I was not most impressed to say the least.

Well having got home and done some side by side tests with the 17-40 canon, it seems I may well have dived in a bit quick and the humble pie could be in the oven as I type. It didn't fair too badly in the tests, there was a clear difference if you looked closely enough for it but if you find the sweet spot for aperture and exposure, it comes quite close.

Having stood a few rounds toe to toe with a benchmark zoom like the 17-40, it got to come out for a little play tonight and help walk the dog.

Took a few shots to see how it faired in some known terratory and so far I'm still not sure :shrug:

Need to find some conclusive test somehow but to cut to the chase..... yes finally... here's one I made earlier. :D

12mmhill.jpg

Proccessed on one laptop that showed it as dark and moody and uploaded on another that shows it bright and open, so I've no idea what you'll see. :LOL:

Exposure seems about right from here mate. Lovely shot and pretty much what I had in mind this evening when I went out, cornfields swaying lazily and all that.

Where was this shot? Up on the downs towards marlborough way by any chance? I've driven out that way many times but not bothered to stop. yet!

Heh heh! It's an ace shot, I really like it :D

None of the superwides are that impressve when it comes down to the stuff which seperates the big boys from the littluns in more normal zooms. But they make up for that with their massive FoV, and can therefore produce some stunning images.

I'm looking to replace my Sigma 15-30mm with a 12-24. I want to play with 12mm on full frame!

Where was this shot? Up on the downs towards marlborough way by any chance?

Probably not as far up as your thinking. It's over the hill from Cherhill and before you drop down the hill to the Beckhampton roundabout and the road to Avebury. You've most likely noticed the clump of trees that go below and above the road just before it dips down to the roundabout. That's them in middle of the shot, looking quite like a black sheep there.

Hoodi,
You're totally right, I need to get used to the idea that going that wide is squeezing a studiply large amount of info onto the sensor and fine detail and texture is just going to take a hammering. I get used to really fine lens resolution with large format jobbies and sometimes plain forget the laws of physics. Which as all great engineers will tell you.... "ya canny change".:LOL:

That is a wonderful shot.... looks really stunning.

I've happily swapped my 14mm Sigma for the Nikkor 14mm f/2.8. Much better. The Sigma's coatings are made from old tins of creosote IMO - almost every shot I ever took with it had loads of light 'splurge' across it... pants.

been reading around and the sigma 10-20 fits a 1DmkII, although 'meant' for the 1.6x sensors the mount is still and EF mount, vignettes at fully wide but goes at about 11mm, widest you can get without going for a prime. there's the 8mm sigma which I've no idea how it it would play on a 1.3x. the alternative of a 12-24 that would also fit 35mm seems pretty interesting too, the distortion at the corners isn't going to be pretty but then you kind of accept that given the job it has to do.

I think with lenses this wide, the distortion becomes as much a part of the composition as the subject matter.
We tend to be unduly critical of excessive distortion sometimes given the prices we pay for some of the budget lenses.
Lens coatings are another matter though (see above post by me...).

thats a cracker! most impressed

I like it. Very good composition and I like the way you have managed to nicely lead the eye into the picture.

Back