Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, Quick question, what are peoples opinions on the Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG, it will be used on the canon 400d and also a 40D when it arrives.

It will be used for landscapes etc, so would it suit this use, or would the 10-20 version be better?

many thanks in advance

I have this lens. And out of 4 Sigma EX lenses I have owned, this one is by far the best.

I have this lens and love it. I use it both on my 5D and 30D with good results.

Some images can be found here

I have had the 12-24 and had good results on a 20D, 5D, 1Ds Mk2 and 1Ds Mk3.

Bit larger than the 10-22 though

I saw a 12-24 for the first time recently and I was very impressed. So much so that I've just ordered two - one Canon mount and one Nikon. (Jessops have it for a bargain £330 at present - check out the Camera Price Buster site for the discount codes.) It is *much* bigger than the 10-20 but the reason is that it will deliver 12mm rectilinear on a full-frame camera, which must be virtually unique. I only wish I had a 5D in order to give it a proper work-out.....

Many thakns for the advise, i did wonder AFTER i purchased the 12-24 how you would fit an N grad filter to it:shrug:

But the question is answered now,
looks like a bit of DIY required im ace with a saw and chisel :bonk:

I have this lens also, and it's a cracker of a lens, as mentioned the only downside is not being able to fit filters, but on my FF camera, it's wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide :)

Many thakns for the advise, i did wonder AFTER i purchased the 12-24 how you would fit an N grad filter to it:shrug:

But the question is answered now,
looks like a bit of DIY required im ace with a saw and chisel :bonk:

Or buy some 100mm or larger filters and use a blob of blue tack! It ain't rocket science!

Or buy some 100mm or larger filters and use a blob of blue tack! It ain't rocket science!

May not be rocket science but I'd suggest it needs a bit more than blue tack.
The lens has an integral petal hood and stray light just streams in when holding a filter against it.
I've learned quite a bit about HDR since buying this lens. :D
HDR's not every ones cup of tea, I know.
But that's for another time. :wave:

Back