Sigma 12-24mm F4 or the F2.8 version? Uo Date sort of

Name
jo
Edit My Images
Yes
I ordered a Sigma 12-24 F2.8 Art lens...

What turned up is the Sigma 12-24 F4 lens..

When I went to purchase the lens, I was looking at either the 10-24mm F4 Art, or the 12-24 F2.8, a bit of debate whether the extra focal length would be more beneficial to what I wanted to use the lens for, or having a slightly shorter focal length but faster Fstop... In the end I went for the Faster Fstop, due to already having the 24-70mm F2.8... (debated with the sigma Rep) .

Either way, I'm going to have to phone the shop, as oddly the F4 is slightly more expensive than the F2.8mm, and I should imagine they've logged the serial number against the purchase, and if I happen to have any issues under warranty then returning an F4 when they expect an F2.8 might cause problems. (invoice in the box, says it should be the F2.8).

But which is the better lens out of the 2, will I miss the option of F2.8 when I'm taking photo's of the stars?

Really don't know which way to jump on this one.

I'd go for the extra stop as it will make a difference; most astrophotographers will use 1.4, 1.8 or 2.8 from what I've read (I don't do it myself).

Also, with the receipt being wrong, that may cause problems for you in the future.

Thanks,

My feelings as well, I know for a lot of the time I probably won't be using a wide Fstop, but having it there will be handy in some situations such as the occasions not often, I decide to do a little bit of Asto, which I've done using my 24-70mm, and yes being able to use a wide Fstop is so much better than trying to use an F4.

As you said, if there's any issues with the lens, then I could only imagine that problems would arise with any inconsistencies on the recipet/invoice not matching the lens, if I was in business I doubt if I'd would offer to honour a warranty on a lens that I apparently hadn't sold as it's not the one on the invoice.

Then there's the honesty factor, nah I know a several at the camera club, said say nothing and keep the lens, the F4 is actually slightly more expensive not sure why though! But for me, but to me, it's being dishonest and lovely thought but just can't be dishonest in that way. Different matter if they said don't worry we're change the details.

But I've now phoned, and the lenes are going to be swapped, they going to see if A, my nearest branch has one available, if not see if they can send it there, and I then can swap Lenses over there, rather going through the regimo of sorting out return postage etc etc.

Reactions: Sky
There isn't a Sigma 12-24 f/2.8, but there is a 14-24 f/2.8. And neither is there a 10-24 f/4, but there is a 12-24 f/4. So I'm not sure what happened here, maybe an incorrect listing on the shop's website?

Anyway I would say the minimum you want for astro is f/2.8. I've done it a couple of times with f/4 lenses but the ISO is so high that it doesn't always stand up to close inspection.

There isn't a Sigma 12-24 f/2.8, but there is a 14-24 f/2.8. And neither is there a 10-24 f/4, but there is a 12-24 f/4. So I'm not sure what happened here, maybe an incorrect listing on the shop's website?

Anyway I would say the minimum you want for astro is f/2.8. I've done it a couple of times with f/4 lenses but the ISO is so high that it doesn't always stand up to close inspection.
Well spotted.

Doh, realised my mistake lol... did mean 14-24 (as that was part of the debate, brighter lens but shorter focal distant)

They were trying to see if anybody had one, which could be sent over to Taunton for Tuesday, which would been great, as it would have meant that I could change lenses when I took the car over for it's Service, as Taunton is just over 30 minute drive away, but alas seems they not going to be able to do this, so not sure when I can changed the lenses over to the one I actually ordered.

Well, still no lens....

After the first lot of phone calls on the Friday, last one being we keep you updated... I heard nothing so last Friday a week later, hubby phoned as I was working.. To be told, ermm didn't know nothing about it, but checked the reserve cupboard no Lens, said that they were due a Sigma delivery later in the day would check this... And would keep hubby updated....

I phoned on Saturday as heard nothing more on the Friday, again said. they didn't know nothing about the lens and would get the shop manager to phone me on ASAP on Monday....

Guess what I've heard nothing, admittingly I've had to go out at lunch time, but nothing on the answer phone, and I checked to see if I'd had any phone calls, but nothing no phone calls while I was out..

Seems as though I'm going to have to phone them tomorrow....

I know some would say I've got the better deal, the lens I have is slightly more expensive than the F2.8 . but

As all paperwork, till receipt, and delivery invoice all say, the lens is a F2.8, if something happened to the lens I'm not covered...

If a fault develops I doubt that the shop would honour any warranty due to I don't have a receipt for it...
My camera kit insurance would also be invalid, if it got damaged or stolen... As I can not provide proof of purchase as all documentation say I brought an F2.8

But if I did decide to risk it, I know that when I tried any astro photography and really needed the F2.8 . I'd would always regret keeping the lens, and be pretty frustrated by this.

I really don't know which way to go, demand my money back and return the lens, but with saying that what problems would I face, if apparently so far every time I phone, nobody seems to know anything about it!

The lens cost over £1000 so don't want to find myself with any chance fo losing my money. But not being able to prove I purchased the lens

Well, still no lens....

The lens cost over £1000 so don't want to find myself with any chance fo losing my money. But not being able to prove I purchased the lens

Sorry to hear this!

How did you pay? If CC, get them involved.

I confused and I don't know which lens the OP got but never mind, it doesn't matter.

OP. As the shop are useless I'd call them and ask to talk to the manager and tell them that you've done all the work on this with multiple phone calls and they haven't resolved the issue so you'll give them this one last chance and if they don't get it sorted you'll contact their HQ with the whole sorry story including the names of who you've spoken to at the shop.

Maybe the thought of someone else getting involved might light a fire under them.

Oh, and make sure you say that you're registering a complaint as some companies just wont move until they hear the magic word... complaint.

Last edited:
@woof woof I received the 12-24mm F4

I paid for, and wanted the 14-24mm F2.8, this lens is actually about £70 cheaper than the one sent!

@Stu Meech

Unfortunately hubby used his debit card! So unsure what back up if any we'd get from out bank.

Did phone them yesterday, no manager about erm...

Apparently they've ordered the lens from Sigma, but alas Sigma hasn't got any in stock at it be at least another fortnight before one is available.... As you can imagine I'm not impressed at all. They said they get the manager to phone me today, but so far no phone call...

In some ways I feel that I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, because with the lens that was sent I do gain some focal length, which at times yep would be handy, but the more I think of occasions that I'd be looking to use a 12mm focal length isn't going to be that often. But I can envisage many situations where I would ideally want the speed and lightness of the F2.8 stop...

@Ellie Jones
I wouldn't settle for the lens you have, if you really want the f/2.8 one. Who did you order the lens from? Time for a little name and shame I feel.

Back