Sigma 150-500mm

Name
andy
Edit My Images
No
I have this lens myself but i feel my shots are soft, does anyone have one of these and have any tips so i can improve

thanks (y)

I have this lens myself but i feel my shots are soft, does anyone have one of these and have any tips so i can improve

thanks (y)

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum :)

Suggest you post some examples, along with the EXIF data and we can suggest ways in which you can improve. Sometimes a slow shutter handheld can give the impression of soft images, when in fact it can be a little blur.

Anyway, it may not be this of course, so please re-post and we can help! :)

2331490-2-play-time.jpg

heres apic i took earlier this week
f 5.6
1/500 sec
iso 400
focal legnth 500mm

thanks.

I think a 100% crop of the focusing point would be better. Scaled down like this, a matchbox pinpoint camera would look sharp!

Yep, plus you're also allowed to post at maximum of 800 pixels wide on threads, anything larger would have to be linked to a hosting site like Flickr etc.

Re shutter speed, IIRC the Sigma 150-500 doesn't have image stabiliser and your shutter speed matches the focal length (just!). I'd suggest you need at least 1/600th or faster for this focal length, if you're hand holding..

Anyway, suggest re-post a crop plus a larger image of the one you've already submitted :)

How are you resizing the image bud?

My bad regarding the OS..

Simply find the original image on your PC then use your image processing software to resize to 800 pixels wide (it will probably automatically resize the height), save and re-post to your gallery space on this site.

TP has a gallery, where every member is given an allowance to host their images from here...click on gallery, then find "upload images" then trace them on your PC and submit them here..

Other than that, I'm not sure whether your host redbubble.net allows you to resize on theitr site, if not then you'd have to do the same as above..

im resizing on elements 5, but as i resize it to 800 pixels wide it seems to shink it lol, help me!!!!!!!!!!

im resizing on elements 5, but as i resize it to 800 pixels wide it seems to shink it lol, help me!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, it will do as it probably isn't showing the resized image at 100%, probably 12.5%.

Then click on file and select "save for web" and select the highest JPEG quality, maximum or very high resolution then upload to "galleries" on here..

If you'd like me to do it for you, just email it to marktann@btinternet.com and I'll do it on Elements 6 and send it back to you, to post on here :)

Sorry, I have never used elements 5, if it helps, in Photoshoppery CS3, go to image size-enter 800 in the width box, make sure constrain proportions is ticked and bob is your uncle.

Either that or download "Irfanview" free, simple to use,must be as I use it........:D

Yay.......:LOL:

is that a better size for you markta?? thanks guys for helping me sort that out

(y)

Andy, it's still only 450 pixels wide...

Best thing to do, is to open up Elements, click on edit rather than browse etc., then select the picture you're posting on here, then click on the toolbar under "image" then from the drop down menu, select resize. Then make sure "constrain proportions is selected, and enter 800 in the box under "width", then save this.

After this, select "file" from the toolbar, then "save for web" and just make sure the JPEG is at it's highest quality - 100 and the resolution is at maximum. Click on "Ok" then the image will be saved.

Then go to "Galleries" on your profile here, then on the right will be "upload photos", select that and you can then locate this image from your "My Documents" or wherever this image is now stored on your PC and follow the prompts. This forum will then host that image...

Hope this helps :)

EDIT: just noticed a larger version now posted, which does help. I'm sure collectively we can give you some pointers here :)

This is quickly using the unsharp mask in CS, i`ll remove it if you want.

2379152-2-squirrel.jpg

I am far from being any good at photoshop Andy, but you need to sharpen things ub a bit.

That doesn't look that bad. Is it a 100% crop?
Never used elements but it surely has a crop option.
What I do is open the original file, select the rectangular marquee tool, set the style to fixed size and put 800px for width and say 600 for height. Put your selection to the portion of the image you want to crop and then go to Image and then crop.

All digital images need a sharpen when processing them, whether it's Sigma, Tamron, Nikon, Canon etc. lenses being used.

You'll see that fracster's effort has bought out a lot more detail in the fur.

A big tip when shooting wildlife is to get the subject's eye/eyes sharp. When us humans look at an image, we always look for eye contact first and foremost and so the impact (sharpness) of the eye is paramount when judging the impact that a photo has.

Looking at your image, it looks like you've missed focus on the eyes, so that's the first thing...

Also, the Sigma isn't best known for sharpness at the 500mm end. Reason being is that it covers quite a range and most of these kind of lenses lose sharpness at their maximum. For massive sharpness capability, fixed focal length lenses (primes) are the uber sharp ones, followed by zoom lenses with not a lot of range on them (usually :p).

You're right to use the lens "wide open", using the widest aperture to get the fastest shutter speed. Most wildlife 'togs almost always use their lenses wide open, for this very reason and also to control depth of field, so that the background is as out of focus as much as possible, so well done there! :clap::)

This is probably quite near as you can get this particular lens, sharpness wise. Fracster has done a good job with brining out the detail and others may well have a go, obviously with your permission ;):)

A good start though :clap::)

This forum IMHO is really awesome in helping newbies improve. Quite a few have said it is due to Talk Photography and its members and some are really churning out superb quality stuff now. This forum has helped me massively in developing, in conjunction with books and self teaching in the field.

Thank god they don't charge commission :LOL:

:LOL:....so good Markta said most of it twice............:D

have you tried stopping down the lens to f8? ive read that the bigma (50-500mm) is sharpest at that aperture....

Back