Sigma 170-500 or 50-500

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Cannot make my mind up. Does anyone own one ore both of these lenses, and could point me in the right direction.
From what i gather the 170 cannot be used with extenders but the 50 can. do you think it is worth buying the bigma just for the extra focal length of an extender as i have the 70-200
to cover the other end if you follow me.:help:
Thanks in advance for all info.
(y)

You might want to try playing with them in a shop. I did that last year when I was thinking about getting a lens for a polar bear safari trip - I tried the 50-500 and the 170-500 against the Canon 100-400. Personally my pecking order was the Canon 100-400, then the 50-500, and the 170-500 at the bottom. The two Sigmas didn't feel as well made, and there was something about the ergonomics of them - where you hold them to zoom and focus - that I didn't get on well with. But of course it's all subjective and you might reach the opposite conclusion, which is why I suggest trying for yourself.

Regarding extenders: the Sigma compatibility chart is here. The 50-500 is listed and the 170-500 isn't. But the 50-500 is f/6.3 at the long end; with an extender, you'll be getting f/9 with a 1.4x and f/12.6 with a 2x. That's pretty gloomy and you have no chance of using autofocus.

EDIT: The Sigma website also lists a 150-500mm f/5-6.3 OS. No pricing yet, so presumably it's an imminent replacement for the 170-500, with optical stabilisation. Maybe worth a thought?

The 50-500mm is the better lens by far - but performs poorly with a teleconverter.

Thanks Guys,

I think i might just wait untill the 150-500 prices are available
before making a choice.
The Canon lenses are a bit on the costly side, and being a rank amature, i think it will be a Sigma.

Dave(y)

The Sigma series are some lovely lenses and do cover gaps in the Canon range. I have the 100-400 and that in itself is f/4.5-5.6 so no faster than what you are looking at in real terms.

Also doesn't like extenders and you lose the AF when you do.

Back