sigma 170-500mm

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a canon 70-200mm F4.0L lens and enjoy aviation photography. Im considering selling this to buy a Sigma 170-500mm lens. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this lens. I like to print out at 15x10. Is the quality good enough with this lens? I use a canon 400d
Regards Neil

My only experience with the 170-500 was in a camera shop when I tried it out against the Sigma 50-500 and the Canon 100-400. I thought the Canon blew the two Sigmas away in every respect imaginable - build quality, ergonomics, functionality, image quality.

But I couldn't justify spending £1,000 on the Canon, and I couldn't find anywhere I could hire one on reasonable terms, so to cut a long story short I now run a lens hire shop. I have a shelf full of 100-400s but no time ever to use them!

PS There's a bug in your signature.

My only experience with the 170-500 was in a camera shop when I tried it out against the Sigma 50-500 and the Canon 100-400. I thought the Canon blew the two Sigmas away in every respect imaginable - build quality, ergonomics, functionality, image quality.

But I couldn't justify spending £1,000 on the Canon, and I couldn't find anywhere I could hire one on reasonable terms, so to cut a long story short I now run a lens hire shop. I have a shelf full of 100-400s but no time ever to use them!

PS There's a bug in your signature.

Thanks Stew, I believe your the chap who Dean F knows from Maidenhead camera club. I was going to contact you to see if you did weekend hire?
Regards Neil

I had the 170-500mm and i liked it, i found it was best on a tripod my Great crested grebe, Kingfisher and Blyth Snow Bunting shots in my gallery are with this lens.

Back