Sigma 300 F2.8

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
Seen quite a few threads recomending the 120-300mm lens but wondered what users thought of the prime , seems to be avialable for about £100 cheaper than the zoom .
Intended use would be for wildlife prob with a TC at some stage .

Any thoughts ?

I was considering the prime for ages but opted for the 120-300 in the end, both seem very capable lenses but the f2.8 through the zoom range swayed it for me, it just seems a little more versatile than being stuck with a fixed lens.

Gary

I'd still go for the zoom because of the versatility and the fact they're easy to sell on if you want to change.

I had the 120-300 with a 1.4X TC giving a 420mm F/4 and it was very good, with a 2x on it wasn't quite as good but still acceptable

I had the 300 F2.8, and replaced it with the 120-300. Nothing wrong with it, IQ about the same to my eyes, but the added flexibility of the 120-300 swayed it for me. I like to be flexible when I shoot, hence no Primes whatsoever (I know - sacriledge)

Also, if Size and weight matter to you, the zoom is a whole lot bigger than the prime.

I have the 300 prime. Superb lens. The only issue I have with it is that it's not long enough :LOL:

Well i to have been considering both of these for a while and i think the flexibility of the 120-300 will sway it for me in the end.

Thanks for the replies , seems not much wrong with either then , anyone know if decent images could be taken with a 2 x converter on or is that asking too much ?

I think both will take a 2x comvertor fine from what i have read. The IQ wont be as good as using the lenses without a convertor but it isnt far off from some of the samples i have seen.

Zoom is more flexible.

I use a nikon 300mm prime for most of my wildlife/birding shots. It almost permanently lives with a 1.4 tc attached and for me I have only ever required more reach not less. so for me it would have to be the prime, although I do have a 80-200 f2.8 set up with me aswell.

Dean

I used the Sigma 300 2.8 for a week (dealer loaned me it). It was superb. To the extent that i bought a Nikon 200-400mm and am still considering exchangineg it for the Nikon 300mm 2.8.
I may still do it.

Kev.

Back