Sigma 50-500

Name
Bri
Edit My Images
No
I have been offered one of these : Sigma 50-500mm 4-6.3 EX APO RF HSM for five hundred quid. It is in mint condition but I am unable to test it on my camera. I use Nikon gear and not familiar with the lettering of a Sigma. Can you tell me what EX and RF stands for?
I have found plenty of info about this lens and most of it positive but is there anyone on here who owns/uses one of these and are you getting good results?
Thanks in anticipationÂ…..Bri :|

EX identifies their pro range and whilst I have not owned this one I have the 100-300mm EX and the 120-300mm EX. They are pretty well built, surpisingly quick focussing compared to OEMs and pretty sharp. The reviews I have seen indicated that apart from this one being soft wide open, once stopped down some pretty good results can be achieved.

I have now switched to Nikon and am looking at another 120-300mm to compliment my D700.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ian, nice cam you have there. Long Nikon glass for me is out of the question, just could not warrant the expense.
I have been looking at the bigma for quite some time and now one has become available, I just do not know if its worth saving for a Nikon lens or go for this. Do you know what RF stands for? I wonder if its a typo and should be AF.
bri

Thanks Ian, nice cam you have there. Long Nikon glass for me is out of the question, just could not warrant the expense.
I have been looking at the bigma for quite some time and now one has become available, I just do not know if its worth saving for a Nikon lens or go for this. Do you know what RF stands for? I wonder if its a typo and should be AF.
bri

As far as I know it means 'rear focus'.

(Edit)

Just had a look at their website - if you click on the designations it'll give you the meanings via a pop-up window.
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3307&navigator=3

thanks again Ian RF :shrug: of course, brain not working as well as looking at the start of the GP.
thanks also to Mike, I will have a look later (after the start) :LOL:
bri

I've just brought the Sigma 150-500 and am really pleased with it. It's heavy but worth it! It's got image stablisation on the lens (their equivalent of Nikon's VR).

I had been thinking of originally getting the Sigma 50-500 but it doesn't have image stablisation which put me off.

It's a good price the lens you're being offered at compared to the new price.

Here's info on the lens from Sigma's website:

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/telezoom/50-500mm.htm

I've just brought the Sigma 150-500 and am really pleased with it. It's heavy but worth it! It's got image stabilisation on the lens (their equivalent of Nikon's VR).

I had been thinking of originally getting the Sigma 50-500 but it doesn't have image stabilisation which put me off.

It's a good price the lens you're being offered at compared to the new price.
Thanks Clive, I did think long and hard about the IS bit, I have a 70-200 VR with converters 1.4 and 2.
I would probably only use this lens with cable release and tripod so it should not be an issue. (y)

by the way was your "Mrs Blackbird" shot with the 150-500?
bri

Back