Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens

Nice sharp lens
The build isn't great and working distance is short at 1/1, but for the money its a decent buy.
I have one, Nikon mount

I have the 50 and 105. I prefer the 105 as joxby said, the working distance on the 105 is easier to work with.

I think the build quality on both is as good as each other. The 105 has a niggly issue in the sense that switching to manual means moving the switch and then pulling the barrel. You get used to it after a while but you do wonder why they did it like that.

Another point is that I prefer to have my lens hoods mounted, but on the 105 I can't attach a lens cap and have the hood mounted. Its just not designed to have it done like that.

I think the build is the same, the bit that extends is a shade loose, never caused me any problems but you can tell where the cost manufacture savings are made.
105 will give a more reasonable working distance.
If I was buying another, I think the 150 or 180 have a better construction and great working distance..

This is a nightmare trying to chose a macro lens.

I want to get one asap and I just cant decide. Fors and against on all of them. Unless I want to spend a ridiculous amount of money.

grr

I have the 105mm and it is great. Auto focus is slow although i only manual focus now. It is a good working distcance and a great lens

thanks VTW, do you have any examples of work with this lens?

SB

Back