sigma 70 -200 F2.8...macro or not?

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
im getting one of these and a 2x tc, but should i get the macro version or not, i do tend to use my 70-300 for macro, but i also have the tamron 28-70 which is macro...what shall i do???:thinking: b

Macro version is newer ... previous version was DG and before that there is the non DG model. All are good. Resale will be better by getting the latest model if that may be an issue for you. A very good price on the DG is well worth thinking about. What's the price you're looking at?

the dg is around £595 for the DG non macro, £699 for the dg macro, i would use it for motorsport, wildlife and the like

Here is a better price on the EX DG Macro from a trusted supplier with no VAT/Duty/delivery extra's and international warranty http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_28&products_id=45

I would also consider the Sigma 100-300mm f4 which is one of the best lenses you can buy outside of silly money. I've had both and I reckon more useful for wildlife and you don't need 2.8 for outdoor unless you want a tad tighter bokeh ... tho the f4 is very good for that http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_28&products_id=85

Pretty much the same price. Both are very happy with a 1.4 TCon as well.

very good prices there, £111 for the 2x converter too...

must think on it, i do find that sometimes i dont have enough light with the 5.6 of the 70-300 i have at the moment, at least the f2.8 i would have enough...ooohhhhhh choices!

I wouldn't go the 2x TC route myself. I have in the past, twice, and the results to me don't hold up. That isn't about quality of Sigma, Canon, Kenko TC's it's just how it is. Depends on your own standards around IQ tho'.

If you need length get the 100-300mm f4. This is pretty popular for motorsport use and then if you need more length for wildlife then it does great with the 1.4x TC. AF remains fast and accurate with the excellent HSM motor, plus minimal loss of IQ.

If you do need apereture speed more than length the 2.8 will deliver. It's about priorities and luckily they are both excellent.

ohhhh im torn

going in search of a camera shop that actually has either of these today for a hands on look, wish me luck, as i think we only have jessops in maidstone...

Good luck ... the 100-300mm f4.0 is a cult lens for good reason and stick it on a tripod or monopod and you'll see why they say it's the best Sigma they've tested.

had a play with a 70 -200, the man in the shop said why do i want to buy a F2.8 lens then stick a TC on it...get a longer lens if i want a longer lens...

that 100 -300 looks good, with a 1.4x on it is long enough, but it drops to F7 i think, which isnt too bad?

420mm with 1.4 TCon and f5.6. Stays fast and accurate with excellent IQ. I used mine 90% with a TCon. I replaced mine with the 300mm f4 IS L and 100-400 IS L. However, in retrospect, I now believe it is a better all round lens than both unless you mainly need IS for walkaround shooting.

thanks for the advice Condyk, very much appreciated.

i will see about testing both out on my camera.

ive just ordered the 70-200 and 2xTC awaiting delivery

i aim to use the 70-200mm on its own alot but the tc is just in case really.... im along the lines that a good shot is a good shot regardless of absolute image quality.

seems tricky to find a non macro version at the mo as well

that 100 -300 looks good, with a 1.4x on it is long enough, but it drops to F7 i think, which isnt too bad?

The 100-300 is a cracker as well Matty. One of the guys I shoot motox with uses it and in some ways it's better than the 70-200. Very sharp indeed, only reasons I didn't go for it was I already had the 100-400 and occasionally I thought I needed F2.8. Most of my shots are F4 and above though so I'm not sure how much I really needed it.

the macro version is the new version, according to sigma its completely new optics, which are supposed to be better than the already very good older version.

Im ordering mine tomorrow, so i will let you know! Decided to go with the 70-200 with a TC, i dont think i would use the 100-300 with a 1.4 as much as i would use the 70-200 witha 2x tc, the 70 - 100 area i dont have another lens for so it might well get used for that, and with the 1mtr minimum forusing distance, i dont think i will do wrong with that.
Looked at the 100-400 canon but i cant justify the cost

Back