Sigma 70-200mm 2.8

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm wanting to pull the trigger on this as I don't want to spend double the price on the Nikon version, but I'm REALLY worried about getting a bad copy. Anyone had a bad experience with the lens?

I've read the reviews, but I trust you guys more. :p

I've had the non macro and the newer macro, and a 80-200mm F/2.8D nikkor in that order

The sigma non macro was as sharp as the nikon, the newer macro wasn't which is why I sold it, it was still very good but not as good as the non macro or the nikon.

I believe some of the sharpness has been sacrificed to allow the macro function

If your choice is the nikon or the sigma macro i'd go for the nikon, it's a fantastic lens

I actually just happened upon a Nikon version that is being sold as-is... but it has fungus. It's going very cheap right now and I'm wondering if it would be worth buying and sending off for fungus removal...

I actually just happened upon a Nikon version that is being sold as-is... but it has fungus. It's going very cheap right now and I'm wondering if it would be worth buying and sending off for fungus removal...

how cheap is cheap? It will only be worth it if its extremely cheap!

I know somebody who had the worst copy of this lens ever. Was totally unnaceptable. Test it thoroughly if you do get one and if any probs give back strate away! :D

My 1st sigma had fungus, it belonged to a pro photographer who must have been a bit thick, he went out in the freezing cold in the winter all day then stored all his camera gear in the ktchen which was very warm and full of steam.

I paid £100 for the lens, sent it back to sigma, I think they charged me £90 to clean it and test it, the lens came back mint and after I sold it I really regretted it.

get a price for cleaning it before you buy it and don't store it with any of your other gear until it's been cleaned, fungus spores spread

I had the earlier version of the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and to be honest, i dont think it was as sharp at 200mm as my Nikon 18-200 VR.
For almost the same price as the Sigma, i have just bought a used Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-S. Now that one is SHARP as a very sharp thing. Have you considered a Nikon?
Allan

Hey i bought wack61's sigma and i think its a fantastic lens. Not as sharp as the nikon but its pretty close. Theres not much difference between it and my nikon 17-55 2.8 which was pretty amazing.

The best thing to do is buy off here and then you can be pretty sure it will be a sharp version

Back