Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM AF

Name
Dan Forsyth
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone recommend or not recommend this lens?
It appears the lens that I have on mty D40X now isn't playing ball no more so i'm looking to upgrade to a f2.8 now, instaed of buying a D90.

All comments about this lens-or other f2.8 zooms- are very welcome.

Thank you

which version?

if i remember rightly there have been 4 different versions over the years.

EX non DG
EX DG
EX DG Macro
EX DG Macro II

ive got the 1st generation "macro" and i love it to bits. tack sharp all through the range, fast AF and lovely image quality.

I looked at this lens in detail a while ago but went for the slower Canon one in the end because the Sigma's sharpness drops off towards the long end. Is there a Nikon xx-200mm at a similar price?

I tried out the Sigma lens at Focus earlier this year and wasn't too pleased with the performance of it in the low lighting. I also tried the Nikon version which is more than double the price but the difference is worth the extra cost. Unfortunately my budget can't stretch to the Nikon 70-200 VR so I have since got the Tamron version which I am very pleased with. Admitedly it's still not up to the Nikon standards but I could recommend it.

On the other hand................get the D90, it's a beauty of a camera. I want to upgrade my D70 to a D90 as my second camera. Again though, I just can't justify the cost at the moment.

I looked at this lens in detail a while ago but went for the slower Canon one in the end because the Sigma's sharpness drops off towards the long end. Is there a Nikon xx-200mm at a similar price?

The Sigma is about half the price I think.

I tried out the Sigma lens at Focus earlier this year and wasn't too pleased with the performance of it in the low lighting. I also tried the Nikon version which is more than double the price but the difference is worth the extra cost. Unfortunately my budget can't stretch to the Nikon 70-200 VR so I have since got the Tamron version which I am very pleased with. Admitedly it's still not up to the Nikon standards but I could recommend it.

On the other hand................get the D90, it's a beauty of a camera. I want to upgrade my D70 to a D90 as my second camera. Again though, I just can't justify the cost at the moment.

I also an in the same situation money wise :( would love to spend the money for the Nikon but at my age (15) doesnt really have that money to spend :(

I have the first generation which I understand is better than the newer ones. Wide open at 200mm it does loose a little sharpness, but at f4 it is great. I would recommend trying to get a good copy of the first generation unless you need macro.

Just bought an older version of the 70-200 f/2.8. Good and sharp all the way up the range, slightly sharper at f/4 and above. Not the speediest lens to change focus from infinity to close focus (or the other way) but doesn't hunt. The biggest problem is that I have to take the tripod collar off it to fit it in my bag! Now thinking about a 1.4x converter (Sigma EX) to match it.

the sigma lens is cracking, ALL of the pictures on my site are taken with it. matched with an A200 or A700 now. never found it being soft, and at F4 its amazing, its the HSM II lens i have.:D

I have the EX DG Macro HSM I and it's a cracker.
It's sharp at F4, sharper at F5-F8

'Tis heavy though. But heavy is good, heavy is reliable ;)

I got one of the new hsm II the other day, I am really pleased with it.

I was also looking for a long f/2.8 zoom lens for my Nikon D40 and i am yet to try the 3:

1) Nikon 70-200mm VR f/2.8
2) Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM
3) Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8

I would love the Nikon, but i fear i would need to buy a 1.4x tele as well, whichever you buy in the end can you tell me what you think of it?

And also, has anybody pointed out that this will end up being a 105-300mm because of the 1.5x crop factor?

Daniel

Back