Sigma 70-300 f4 - 5.6 APO DG MACRO any good?

wow that a damn big pic stephenb

as said though you get what you pay for, if you want to play around with a zoom lens but dont need really sharp shots then for go for it :) If you are planning on using the shots for anything usefull though then you might be slightly dissapointed at how soft the lens can actually be :(

New tend to be from £110-160 new / Second hand £90 ish at a guess

Thanks for the info, are there any other lenses around this price range that are better? + £50 or so

annoyingly there doesnt seem to be :( or not that I have noticed. I must admit I have decided to splash out and go from the sigma to a nice Canon L 70-200 when I can afford it so didnt pay a great deal of attention to anything slightly higher. I seem to remember when I was looking for a cheap zoom that this and the similar canon (I think 75-300) are pretty much in there own little cheap (soft) zoom section :(

im almost tempted to just stay with the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens I just got and use it for a bit until after xmas and then look for a longer lens

it should in theory be good for both Steven001 - and it can be if the light is good and you can find some good settings. I have got some lovely sharp shots at 300mm before but all outdoors in blazing sunshine.

Its a good lens for the money..It wont Auto focus on D40/x though...Ive used mine for allsorts

Example shots HERE(y)

Seen like a good lens for the money! Pity about the auto focus though. I would really like to take some shots of my mate playing football, do you think it would be hard to get some decent ones using manual focus? And blazing sunshine isn't something were likely to get very often, here in Scotland.

I do manual focus a lot with mine and it does autofocus on the Canon 350, it just prefer to manual focus with it.

i have been pretty happy with mine and got some good results,

Gazania2.jpg

Baby%20Robin.jpg

I use mine on a d70 and i love it, although it can be abit slow to focus in low light! but i would definatley recommend it for the price!!

No I dont personally think so, it does what it says on the tin, and the affordability factor makes it a great buy.

Nikon do a 70-300 VR which will Auto Focus on the D40/x, but its pricey.. Roughly £309(y)

Back