Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 APO

Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone tell me what actually happens on this lens when you operate the "macro" switch please?

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. I'm not sure what actually happens with you flick it to macro but i'm pretty sure that it can only be used between 200-300mm. Could be wrong though.

I think it has to do with the movement of the internal elements, if you zoom out too far in macro mode you could damage the lens.

So I would imagine no one really knows how that little switch really works then?

The switch allows the internal focussing parts to move further when the lens zoom is between 200mm and 300mm. Lets the lens focus in closer - sort of a limit-switch.

From the sigma site -

Macro shooting with maximum magnification 1:2

High optical performance is demonstrated throughout the entire zoom range. It also has a switch that converts the lens to macro photography at focal lengths between 200mm and 300mm with a minimum focusing distance of 95cm (37.4 inches). In normal mode the minimum focusing distance is 150cm (59.1 inches) at all zoom settings. Maximum magnification between 200mm and 300mm is 1:2.9 to 1:2.

Back