Sigma APO ??

Jimmy_Lemon

TPer Emeritus
Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Does anyone know what the APO stands for (and what it does) for some Sigma lenses?

I have been having a look at the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro DG (Canon AF) but its always £50 more than the none APO version.

What the heck is it? everysite I look at doesnt seem to show any different specs :|

aha! yeah seems like it would be worth it. I am very tempted to buy the lens as I have found it for £158.99 and for my first zoom lens I don't really want to pay too much more.

Well I would buy it is it came in EF not just AF - balls!

I am just looking for a reasonably cheap 70-300 (or maybe 200) but as I only have a 350d it don't seem as easy as I thought it was going to be (am I right in thinking the 350d only takes EF and EF-S ?).

Hey Jimmy,

I have one of these lenses and I really like the pics i have taken with it, I got mine from one stop digital for £119.
http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_28&products_id=275
I have bought several things from them with no problems at all, I got collared for tax on one of my lenses but they refunded the amount very swiftly. It is true when they say the price you see is the price you pay.
Great lens, go for it.

Does it? I can't seem to find it where I was looking :( Maybe I need to look harder. I have just brought a nifty Fifty from Jacobs as I like them and it was pretty cheap.

They (Jacobs) list a SIGMA 70-300 F4-5.6 EOS APO Macro DG - which seems to be the only one that isnt AF (unless I am totally confusing myself here)

Cheers stephenb - having a look now :D

AH! Cheers Joe! that makes everything make a bit more sense now! I thought it was a name of the fitting :|

Well I went with who stephenb suggested and felt crazy so just purchased one :D with a Hoya UV filter too!

Only slightly worrying thing was that there was no reciept or anything at the end :( payed through paypal though so it will show up on there I guess.

£300 on lenses and filters in 1 hour - damn!

Thanks for the help :D

All your order details will be listed under "my account", I printed copies of my order details from there. Stuff I bought early last year is still listed under my orders.

Ah so it is! cheers. They just sent me a confirmation email too :D

Joe I also bought a nifty fifty, a circular polarizing filter for the nift fifty and erm.....a UV filter for the 70-300 and one for my 18-55.

In Total it was actually only £240! dunno why I thought £300 - hmm what can I spend that extra £60 on :D Maybe a remote shutter release!

Just a thought - would a lens hood have been a good idea for the 70-300?

get hold of an old Nokia mobile earpiece and make a shutter release, looks pretty cool too:D

Paul

ps you should still have £60 left for better things then

Lens hood and padded bag supplied in the price you pay :)

I also own one and it's well worth the money.

got my sigma 70-300 APO from onestop too, you should'ent have any problems there, it took about 5 days to come, i plan to get the sigma 24-70mm 2.8 ex dg from there in a couple of months as it's the best price i've seen £230 (y)

Back