SIGMA LENS 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO

Name
Steviegee
Edit My Images
Yes
I have read some reports reccomending the 24-60mm but no comments on whether its worth the extra for the Macro 24-70mm version. I wondered if anyone could advise as to whether its as good as the non macro. Also some issues of bad focusing. I can get the 24-70mm Macro lens fror £232.00 inc postage or the non Macro 24-60mm for £167 inc post.
Any advise would be appreciated, Thanks

I've got the 24-60mm on my EOS 40D and it rarely leaves the camera. Autofocus is fast and accurate, build quality is good.

To be honest, unless you are a macro nut I wouldn't pay the extra, if you have a DSLR with enough resolution just crop your images.

I have just bought the 24-60mm, fantastic lens. I'm not really interested in macro so didnt really consider the 28-70, If i wanted a macro lens i would probably buy a Prime Macro lens.

I hope you are happy with which ever u choose.

The 24-70 f2.8 is a GREAT lens if you get a good copy. However, it's bigger and heavier than the 24-60 which if you don't mind the slightly reduced range or non 'macro' ability is a superb, very sharp lens.

The 24-60 is FAR more 'walkaround friendly' as it's lighter, so it's really going to come down to what you need from your lens.

Cheers,
James

Thanks. I already have two lenses capable of Macro but not at 2.8 but was thinking of getting the 24-60mm and then using extra to buy a 50mm prime for my D80 as thats not too expensive either, and it has the 1.8 ability for low light.

I was asking a friend the same question (Steveo_Hants) and one of things he mentioned was the 24-60 is a 77mm filter size (same as Sigma 10-20mm), where as the 24-70 of 82mm. Worth considering if you already have filters of either size.
As for the size issue, the 24-60 is 550g versus 715g for the 24-70.

Filter gonna be a problem as the biggest I have is a 67mm so would have to buy new ring for my Cokin and new Poloriser for whatever I get.

where can you find the 24-60 for £167?

theres also the 17-70mm f2.8 to consider also a really good lens and can be had for a decent price i got mine off ebay for 102 quid

24-70 is big heavy and AF a little noisy but saying that it's a great lens producing great image quality, I'm not in the slightest disappointed with mine.

rikki1q what 17-70 f2.8 do you have, I thought the sigma was f2.8-4.5, rather than f2.8 thoughout ?

I have the 24-70 and while heavy the quality rocks and have had no problems with it in the slightest. Filters can be expensive and harder to find at that size though.

Back