Sigma lens. Repair or replace?

Edit My Images
Yes
Sigma 70-300 APO Macro lens has gone faulty.
When it reaches the end of the focus range it slips on the gears rather than stopping.
So the question is...

It will probably cost more to repair than replace unless you know of anywhere that does it cheaper than that.
So I'll probably pull it apart and see if it's possible to repair it myself. OI know it's the plastic gear on the actual body and not the brass drive gears that are easy to get to (typical).
Don't suppose repair manuals exist for these things.
I can still use it on manual focus (after a fashion).

So if I replace it have you any suggestions on a non-existent budget.
It's for a Sony A100/ Minolta.

I put my 70-200 back to sigma for repair and it cost £70 plus the postage there, say £85 altogether. I'd imagine your's would cost something similar so it's touch and go if it's worth sending in.

If you're happy with the lens I would definately send it off for a price for repair then decide, but if you were looking at upgrading it's an ideal time to do it.

Dod, that's the price I'd had suggested. Seems they do a fixed price on lens repairs for the most part.
And TBH at that it's dearer than getting another one.
So it's in it's constituent parts in front of me right now. Found a couple of other problems as well, screws that are coming loose. I'll see how the repair goes.

Chris, I am reasonably happy with it as I was looking at getting a decent (older Minolta) prime lens rather than upgrading this one. Now that's had to be put on hold while I sort this out.

While it was apart I thought I'd try out the kit lens and take some pics. Well that's what this is supposed to be all about isn't it?

sig2.jpg

sig1.jpg

It's now back together and works much better. Still have a slight issue where it goes from normal to macro as the gear is worn badly there.
And I've lost a tiny bit of close focus range. And it doesn't focus at infinity now(not that it's possible to focus on a conceptual idea anyway so I'll nto worry over that one).

And in typical fashion I missed the chance to buy one of these lens with another and a camera for less than 50p and a conker. :LOL:

Even though it is still working OK within it's new parameters I thought a replacement would be wise for that moment when it dis-assembled itself without warning.
So I got a nice cheapo Sigma 70-210 as a make-do stand-in.

Back