Sigma Warranty on Imports

Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know the if the Sigma International Warranty is valid in the UK on lenses imported from HK?

I've read various things, like they have nothing to do with imported lenses and they only offer the warranty if you can provide a VAT receipt for the lens. I'd be surprised if they can actually refuse to honour their international warranty.

I'm thinking of importing a couple of lenses and saving some money - but am put off by the possibility of having no warranty. :(

Thanks! :)

in my investigations on this i enquired about this, and i was told that such claims wouldnt be a priority, but they would be done.

I phoned Sigma not long after I posted the message. I was told that any lenses imported would be supported, if you could provide proof of import duty and VAT. Otherwise, it'd have to be send back to where I bought it.

Doesn't sound too nice...

I bought my first Sigma lens from the US via eBay. I had problems with it and had to send it back to Sigma. I phoned them first, all they were interested in was my having a proof of purchase. In all it took just over a week for them to send it back to me, excellent service I thought.

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/going_grey.pdf said:
Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd does not condone the avoidance of the payment of VAT and import duty.Any claims on our 12 month International Warranty from the owners of products not imported into the UK by Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd must therefore be accompanied by proof of payment of import duty & VAT.

:(

So what about the situations where it has been legitimately brought into this country and no VAT / Import Duty was required?

Or second hand lenses?

Marcel said:
So what about the situations where it has been legitimately brought into this country and no VAT / Import Duty was required?

I think they mean that when you import a lens into this country you must make sure you properly notify customs so that they can charge you accordingly... Any Sigma lens is expensive enough to incur some sort of duty.

Not sure about second hand item... probably the same :eyesup:

Thats what I mean, they demand to see a receipt for the Import Duty and VAT but if you haven't had to pay it, then how can you show them something you haven't got?

Unless I've got things wrong and there are no circumstances where you don't have to pay it.
Mind you I could have just moved over here from Hong Kong :) That's one situation where I don't have to pay import/VAT, right?

Marcel said:
Unless I've got things wrong and there are no circumstances where you don't have to pay it.

I don't think there are mate, if you manage to get a lens through customs without paying duty you are lucky, pure and simple. I think Sigma expect people to declare it.

That's just my take on what they say, I could very well be wrong.

They may have changed their policy since this time last year when I sent mine back, I had no difficulty at all and was not asked to prove tax paid.

Most stuff only has warranty for original owners - 2nd hand cover has to be bought at the point of purchase if from a dealer - if it's a private sale, you're not covered at all.

Via email from Sigma:

Sigma Imaging (UK) ltd will be delighted to honour the Sigma 12 Month International Warranty on all Sigma products legitimately imported into the E.C.

In the unlikely event of a fault occurring the lens should be sent to our Service Department at, Sigma Imaging UK Ltd., 13 Little Mundells, Welwyn Garden City, Herts.,
AL7 1EW. It should be accompanied by a copy of your sales receipt and the warranty card. If the lens was purchased outside the E.C. then proof that the Import Duty and VAT were paid should also be included.

So it looks like non E.C. sourced Sigma Lenses, with no VAT or Import Duty paid on them will have no warranty. So, is importing still worth the risk? After VAT and duty is paid, your paying UK prices, for a lens from overseas, with a 1 year warranty instead of 3. Is saving the cost of VAT and Duty really worth loosing the warranty?

Any thoughts?

Back