Sigma wide zooms

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I know you lot are usualy super knowledgable about these matters. I need to get a wider zoom for the EOS than the 17-40 and after a brief look around it seems that the only real option is the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG.

All the others I've seen won't stretch to a 1.3 crop or full frame sensor. Or am I missing something?

Also, does anyone know of any good offers that I won't find wandering around the web at the usual places.

Cheers all

D :)

I have a Nikon fit Sigma 12-24 and it's full frame compatible. If you have a Canon to Nikon adapter then mine is for sale ;) otherwise check ebay they go for between approx 300 and 350 second hand. I paid £470 for mine (UK sourced) in Jacobs. RRP is 599 iirc.

The 10-20mm def won't go on a 1.3x or full frame

Is yours for sale becuase you don't need/use it enough or because it didn't do a good enough job for you?

AFAIK the Sigma 12-24 is the only super-wide zoom for full-frame or 1.3x cameras. I bought one for my 10D before all the 1.6x lenses were available, but now use the Canon 10-22 on a 30D.

All of which is a lead-in to a blatant advert! :D I don't use my Sigma 12-24 these days, so if you're interested please let me know by PM, or email silkstone(AT)tiscali.co.uk. The lens is as-new with padded case and all original packaging, and I'd be looking for £350 including RMSD.

Hope nobody minds me posting this - please obliterate if there's a problem. ;)

If your looking to sell your lens Silkstone theres a Classified's section that would get you more attention I think :)

Thanks - I'll probably do that, but it was really just a thought in response to dazzajl's enquiry. I sometimes think that maybe one day I will get a full-frame camera and maybe I should hang on to the 12-24, but it'll probably not get any further than 'maybe'. :D

12-24 is 374 from Onestop. Onestop is usually quite a bit cheaper then the rest and quick to deliver.

12-24 is going to extremely wide indeed on your body!

Wide bodied is very me though. ;)

It's stuff that should really be shot on large format but the budget isn't going to allow. 12mm on a 1.3 crop is bordering on the excessive but with a little care and attention keeping the distortion at bay should be easy enough.

Cheers Steep, that's about the best price out there for this I reckon. :)

evilowl said:
I have a Nikon fit Sigma 12-24 and it's full frame compatible. If you have a Canon to Nikon adapter then mine is for sale ;) otherwise check ebay they go for between approx 300 and 350 second hand. I paid £470 for mine (UK sourced) in Jacobs. RRP is 599 iirc.

The 10-20mm def won't go on a 1.3x or full frame

At the risk of revealing my ignorance can I ask the following :

I have the Nikon D50 and was considering the Sigma 10mm-20mm.

Q1. Am I right in thinking that this lens would work fine on the D50?

Q2. If I upgraded to something like the D200 in the future would it still work OK or are they totally different sensor sizes?

(Yes I think I have just revealed my deep lack of knowledge to the world!):bonk:

What I don't want to do is purchase a small portfolio of lenses and upgrade the camera only to find they are redundant.

BobR

Joe T said:
BobR,

A1. Yes, it would be fine.

A2. Yes, it would be fine.

Joe

Cheers Joe (y) (y) looks like I am about to spend £300 tommorow on that lens id I can get it past the resident. bank manager! :nono:

AFAIK Nikon all use the same 1.5 sensor and have promised to always do so.

dazzajl said:
Is yours for sale becuase you don't need/use it enough or because it didn't do a good enough job for you?

Don't get me wrong, it's a great bit of glass. When I bought my 12-24 the 10-20 wasn't out. I now have both and the 12-24 is a fair bit sharper on the edges, but lacks the extra 2mm and for me at least - that is the clincher

Back