weekly Silent-Sams 52. 2012...Sweet & Secure added...

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so got the thread set up.

No rules for me, just photograph the theme when I can with whatever device I feel like using. No deadlines, no preasure.

Cameras I'll have at my disposal;

Sonymobile 002.jpg by ohmytao, on Flickr
Sonymobile 003.jpg by ohmytao, on Flickr
Also try to view and comment on other 52'ers photos as much as I can.

- 1 - Direction http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4367069&postcount=9
- 2 - Fear http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4393163&postcount=17
- 3 - Sigh http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4393298&postcount=18
- 4 - Sweet http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4413503&postcount=25
- 5 - Secure http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4413507&postcount=26
- 6 - Industry
- 7 - Root
- 8 - Handmade
- 9 - Money
- 10- Win
- 11-
- 12-
- 13-
- 14-
- 15-
- 16-
- 17-
- 18-
- 19-
- 20-
- 21-
- 22-
- 23-
- 24-
- 25-
- 26-
- 27-
- 28-
- 29-
- 30-
- 31-
- 32-
- 33-
- 34-
- 35-
- 36-
- 37-
- 38-
- 39-
- 40-
- 41-
- 42-
- 43-
- 44-
- 45-
- 46-
- 47-
- 48-
- 49-
- 50-
- 51-
- 52-

Last edited:
Laid-back huh :D

Good luck with the project. I look forward to following your work!

Hi Sam...

ooooh....you may need to explain this shot for me...struggling ( possibly due to the wine) to see it...direction of light ? Like it as an abstract & like mono shots .....please tell me more though (y)

Thanks Lynne.

I was using the dice to represent the randomness, that collides with the choices we make and use to define our direction in life.

I shot in a dimly lit room, with camera on b&w, with a heavy grain, using a close focus distance, and on camera flash, to create a very high contrast, high drama picture.
The six showing looks cool.

Bingo first week is done hey...and like lynne I struggled...but thought of dice or a button... Like the pp heavy grain adds texture.... Brilliant start (y) I know you'll catch up...

Now theres an explanation of the picture it makes sense, however I think the lighting needed to be brought round a little to emphasise the squareness of the object. Just an edge would have done.
Having said that I like the texture and gritiness with the idea fitting the theme
Good luck with the rest of the year

Week #2

Fear

IMG_0752.jpg by ohmytao, on Flickr

OK, this one will need a description.

My concept is that as all our fears are a projection of ourselves, then all we are really afraid of is ourselves.

The method of taking the photo is also important in its expression.
Set to timer, with a long exposure, in a dark room, at night (a little light comming from the street lamps) and only using the room light switch to get an image.

As our fears are a projection of ourselves, then we are able to control them, and remove them if we wish. It's as easy as flicking a light switch.

The haziness represents the blurry vision showing you a life that allows you to belive that there's anything to be afraid of.

Last edited:
Week #3

Sigh

Sigh. by ohmytao, on Flickr

For this picture I wanted to show the feeling of seperation from the physical world, and the clarity that sighing can bring.

Shot up close in a dark room using on camera flash to 'blow out' the face, (my face).

That's very different ... wish you had shaved before hand :D

Direction – Quite like this

Fear – I’m afraid I find this far too noisy.

Sigh – I was trying to work out what was coming out of the mouth

Sam...your work does need some explanation...but fear does work for me... Grainy / noisy... A fear of the dark I thought...or dodge electrical wiring...

Sigh... I wondered about the mouth..

Early days..keep going...

Thankyou, any comments always welcome.

I had a feeling my series this year wasn't going to be for everyone.

I think it's intriguing work but your explanations are essential. Cerebral, interesting.... keep it up (y)

I had a feeling my series this year wasn't going to be for everyone.

Hi Sam

Some difficult concepts to get my head round here.
Direction - good shot and i get the theme. Very minimalist approach
Fear - really well thought out and executed shot but the connection to the theme does not work for me. sorry
Sigh - sorry not for me. Even with what you are attempting, the background just seems random and cluttered

Week #4

Sweet.

Sweet. by ohmytao, on Flickr

I had two thoughts for sweet. Sweet sugar taste, and sweet as in cute.
I wanted to combine the two ideas showing something sugar sweet being eaten in a way which produces a very unsweet picture.

It's an idea of gluttony, and how a pleasure unsavoured can leave dissatisfaction. We have a planet which can provide all we need, yet we are greedy and unsatisfied.

Week #5

Secure.

Secure. by ohmytao, on Flickr

Mallory gets her photo taken again. Striking a lovely pose inside her cork bark tube.
Nice, safe, and secure. Her snake brain needs the security of a tight space, she will choose safety over temperature.
Becoming nervous and stressed when out in the open her reptile brain will guide her to a secure location. At least until night fall.
An independant animal, she will only be found during the breeding season. Until then it's, food, sleep, and security.

I feel that the picture is also a slighty more secure and safe choice.

Last edited:
Hi Sam.

You continue to challenge my perceptions.:)

Sweet - I just cannot make out the shot , although I like the description of what take you were trying to make on the theme.

Secure - nice shot of the snake and I have learned something about snakes from your narrative. So having read that, I think that it would have been good to have seen her bark cork tube in the shot to indicate her secure place. Also the opportunity to add another texture to the shot - altho you may not agree with that.

Back