Silly question about Youth Hostels

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit of a silly question about Youth Hostels as it been years since I stayed in one.
Can you get access at any time hoping to do a bit of astro photography, in this day and age Im presuming you can but be a bit awkward if you couldn't.
I have emailed the YHA themselves but as of yet haven't heard back as of yet.

It varies between hostels; many will give you a key or a key code for 24 h entry. A phone call to the hostel you are considering (number on the YHA website) will tell you. If you're in a shared room, of course, crashing about in the middle of the night might not make you hugely popular. Many hostels have single or twin rooms at slightly higher cost. In many ways, hostels make an excellent photographic base. .

I have stayed in both types. Once I ended up sleeping in my car and canceling the hostel because they wouldn't let go out (that's right they wouldn't let me leave!) at 4am. Other times I gave gotten 24hr access at any time I please.

Just a word of warning, not all private rooms in Hostels have a plug for charging. Not much of a problem if your aware of it.

Thanks I wasn't aware of that something to ask when I call although looking at the prices £170 for a twin room its not mush cheaper than a cheap B&B.

£170 for how many nights?

Dave

Once I ended up sleeping in my car and canceling the hostel because they wouldn't let go out (that's right they wouldn't let me leave!) at 4am.

The Hostel California by any chance ?

Sorry - Just going to get my coat :)

I've always avoided hostels because the prices for private rooms are generally around the same as a hotel, and with those you usually get an en suite bathroom. I like my own space too much to share with strangers however tempting the price might be. A camper van would be ideal for landscape photography, though I try and make do with the car in summer

I tend to avoid youth hostels if at all possible a swell. I remember one night spent in a dormitory otherwise full of elderly, farting and coughing cyclists from Lancashire. It was so bad I went outside and slept in the car!

When I have stayed in recent years the kitchens seem so badly equipped; they must profit from selling meals etc, as well. One exception with very definite advantages is Pen-y-pass at the start of the PyG and Miners paths up Snowdon. Not only is it fantastically situated but also you get a free pass for the car park, (or at least it used to) which costs day visitors £10 a day!

Camper vans can be so damn cold in winter, so a hostel does sometimes make sense.

I've always avoided hostels because the prices for private rooms are generally around the same as a hotel, and with those you usually get an en suite bathroom. I like my own space too much to share with strangers however tempting the price might be. A camper van would be ideal for landscape photography, though I try and make do with the car in summer
Not one for youth hostels myself and normally settle for the car except when it's freezing but that because I normally go on my own. They actually have a 25% off at certain places at the minute so it worked out at £150 for 4 nights, most b& b seemed to be £240 ish.

I tend to avoid youth hostels if at all possible a swell. I remember one night spent in a dormitory otherwise full of elderly, farting and coughing cyclists from Lancashire. It was so bad I went outside and slept in the car!

When I have stayed in recent years the kitchens seem so badly equipped; they must profit from selling meals etc, as well. One exception with very definite advantages is Pen-y-pass at the start of the PyG and Miners paths up Snowdon. Not only is it fantastically situated but also you get a free pass for the car park, (or at least it used to) which costs day visitors £10 a day!

Camper vans can be so damn cold in winter, so a hostel does sometimes make sense.
Agree with that don't like shared dorms myself, I do mind sleeping in the car when it's warmer and at least you close to where you want to go in the morning.

Back