Silly question time! Printing to allow for mounting and framing...

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Now, I am usually fairly intellegent (I even have a certificate that says I am not all that stupid) but I cannot wrap my head around preparing a photo for printing.

1) Buying frames. Do the measurements used to describe them cover the aperture or the whole frame? I think its the whole frame.

2) Where can you find decent frames that cover the canon aspect ratio from prints.

3) I know how to resize my prints to the appropriate size in lightroom but how on earth do you leave a border appropriate for mounting so that you whole picture shows through the aperture>

As you can tell this really confuses me. Any help or pointing me to a decent website would be gratefully recieved!

1) Normally the aperture/print size...

2) Try this company, not used them myself but some good feedback in the talk business section...
Kaleidoscope Framing ltd...

3) Info on mounts here, normally the print aperture on the mount is cut slightly smaller than the print size.

(y)

Last edited:
Thanks, as per no. 3, this generally means losing some of the picture if you have a borderless print, correct?

Generally most mounts and overlays are cut with a 1/4 inch border all round - so a 10x8 will have an aperture of 9.5x7.5 inches.

Frames are always for the print size - but have again an approx 1/4 rebate to hold the glass and photograph in.

It's wise to allow for some of your image to be hidden by the frame or mat - as if you printed exactly for the size of the mount it takes forever to align without showing some of the unprinted paper. Also, when you take the photo - your camera normally only show 95% of the area captured to allow for this too...

It's best to give a little extra space round the image, is it's easier to crop in than to get bits cut off!

You might find it easier to print to suit the frames available - again another good reason not to overfill the frame when composing your images....

Back