Since imaging the Andromeda Galaxy

Name
Lew
Edit My Images
Yes
Back in January it apparently has travelled 2,500 million miles towards us, so I should get a better image next time I try ..... lol
20210121-Andromeda Galaxy.jpg

Very nice. I might try this one day. Or night should I say.......! :p

Me & my mate in work (he loves astronomy stuff but doesn't photograph) worked out, roughly, the number of lightyears x the distance of a light year & it was something like 14,914,072,563,690,000,000 miles away.

Very nice. I might try this one day. Or night should I say.......! :p

Me & my mate in work (he loves astronomy stuff but doesn't photograph) worked out, roughly, the number of lightyears x the distance of a light year & it was something like 14,914,072,563,690,000,000 miles away.
It’s about 13.2 trillion miles way at present, apparently. Or 2.2 million light years.

Amazing shot, by the way, OP!

Very nice capture.

Hurry up or you might miss it seeing how it's moving so fast:)

Keep what you have and get more shots to add to the stack and it will deliver even more detail.

It’s about 13.2 trillion miles way at present, apparently. Or 2.2 million light years.

Amazing shot, by the way, OP!

But ONE lightyear is about 6 trillion miles.

6 trillion multiplied by 2.2 million is more than 13.2 trillion........

I think we worked it out from 5.879e+12 miles per lightyear & 2.5 million lightyears.

But ONE lightyear is about 6 trillion miles.

6 trillion multiplied by 2.2 million is more than 13.2 trillion........

I think we worked it out from 5.879e+12 miles per lightyear & 2.5 million lightyears.
Yes, you’re right. It’s a million times 13.2 trillion (13.2 quintillion?), then, isn’t it?

Last edited:
Yes, you’re right. It’s a million times 13.2 trillion (13.2 quintillion?), then, isn’t it?

Something like that. Anyway, it's a completely mind blowing distance away which is why we tried to work it out.

Mind blowing like all of the night sky I guess. Which is why we like it so much :)

Andomeda is 2.2 million light years away, it is moving towards us at about 250,000 mph, it is 1.3E13 miles away, I think I have time to pop to the shops before it gets too close.

When one sees pictures like yours and look at the distances and sizes involved -- and this is only part the 'local' group -- then one moves on to seeing the Hubble Deep Field pictures showing thousands of galaxies in one tiny area of space, the mind tends to boggle just a little bit. The worse thing is, we can't even get to our second nearest star in thousands of our lifetimes -- it's both amazing and just a little depressing.

Last edited:
Wonderful, thank you:)

Back