size of mounts

Name
Carlo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

got all my mount kit ready, so gonna try and cut my own.

Is there a set size of mount for photos?

Was thinking that if i cut all mounts the same width, then all samller photos the mount would look too big and on larger photos the mount may look too narrow.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

and also when cutting a mount do you do an even around the whole photo or do you leave a larger edge along the bottom of the photo?

thanks

i was just signing in to ask the exact same question.i have 8x8 12x8 16x8 prints and was going to go with a 55mm mount depth but im not sure weather this will look right with one print but not the other,im sure theres a rule of thumb to it.as far as i am aware if your mounted print in going in a frame then you would make the bottom bar slightly wider but im a bit torn weather i want to do this ...may just be personal preference.

a 6x8 print would usually go in a 10x8 mount

I've put 9x6 prints into 12x8 mounts a lot

tbh its what you think looks good

is there a set rule? a formula perhaps to determine the size?

what about a deeper bottom edge?

here are a few rules

slightly larger border at the bottom than the top

even on the left and right

the mount overall should fit the frame

i have a spreadsheet i developed to help calculate the sizes, if i can find it i will email it you if you want

Cheers Steve

here are a few rules

slightly larger border at the bottom than the top

even on the left and right

the mount overall should fit the frame

i have a spreadsheet i developed to help calculate the sizes, if i can find it i will email it you if you want

Cheers Steve

If you could that would be great.

Personal choice of aesthetic.. sometimes an over-size border can work well, depends on the image. I sometimes find myself making notes on the mounting choices after viewing an exhibition in a gallery or museum. A couple of weeks ago I was looking at exhibits in the Berlinische Galerie which had very large mounts for quite small images, and the aperture was cut slightly large for the images as well with a secondary backing piece. The overall effect was very good and I'll definitely be trying that at some point.

a couple of the most popular ones I sell are:

14x11 mount - 12x8 aperture/photo
24x12 mount - 20x8 aperture/photo
20x16 mount - 16x12 aperture/photo
15x15 mount - 12x12 aperture/photo

always make sure you leave a 5mm overlap so the aperture is smaller than the print that goes behind it! :)

drew

Wow, just about to post a request in a similar vein. Is there an optimum frame & mount size for A3 prints & are they different for portrait & landscape.

Steve - if you find the spreadsheet could you email a copy my way as well - much appreciated.

Back