Answered Sizes for Posting Images...

Name
Mostafa Eid
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello folks,

im new to the forum here and wanted to ask, how do you resize your photo to upload it here? i have been trying to submit my first post, but the site doesn't want to upload my photo, as it says the file is to big. I have reduced the file size to as little as 1.2 mg but still the site persists and says the file size is too large. It is a noob question i know, but if i resize the image that much, it loses pretty much all the interesting details.

I would be very thankful for a reply :)

if you keep your images to around 1024 px longest side, max 500kb in size in .jpg format there shouldn't be a problem.

(sorry, I know as staff I should have exact figures, but to be honest it seems to very every time we upgrade the forum software and i've not been helping out very often here recently, as I've been rather busy with my day job at the NHS...)

I'm going to move this to the "forum help" section and rename it to something more sensible, so you should get a definitive answer pretty quickly...

Last edited:
I output images at 1024 on the longest side and limit file size to 300kb using lightroom.

If you want to post larger sizes then use an external host like Flickr and embed the image using the BB code option.

Last edited:
Hello Mark,

even though you are certainly very busy, you still did reply and edited my post. A lot of respect for you and the work you do at NHS :) wishing you lots of strength. Reducing the photo size on lightroom is not a problem, however when i resize the shots to that size at 1024 mb, the photos just don't look good anymore. They barely look like cell phone photos.

What Toni suggested is actually working without a problem. I didn't have a Flickr account, so i tried with my 500px account, but it only attached the photo as a link. I created a Fickr account and in the preview post i noticed that it is working without a problem at all.

Many thanks Mark and Toni for helping me out :)

@Mostafa.Eid , you can directly link images from 500px; I dug the image link out of the page you tested above, and used the insert image (Ctrl+P) option to display it here. There's probably an easier way to get the URL as the owner of the account.
v2

Fairly sure I had images rejected that were in the 400-500kb range in the past - is this a relatively recent increase in generosity?
Its certainly been like that since the forum up-grade, at least.

Reactions: Nod
Hey Tori,

thanks for your reply. When i try this with 500px it just gave me this error message. I inserted the link and this is directly what i get. The max it does is that it loads the Link as a highlighted one in the thread, but that's about it. It worked with Flickr when i tried this yesterday but not with 500px.

123.jpg

The link you entered points to a web page displaying your image, not the image itself, so the forum doesn't have the cabability to embed that.
I'd looked at the web page's coding, and extracted the image's address from there; I'd assumed you (as the page owner) would be offered an option to copy/paste a direct link to it, as you can with Flickr.

It seems 500px do offer an embed option, but it gives you a block of html that can't be used directly on the forum, however the image link you need is in there. See the capture below; the highlighted bit is the image address you can insert here using (Ctrl+P).
500px embed code.jpg

I got the photo source from there (it is a different photo), however when i paste here and toggle BB code, it doesn't respond, besides the photo quality looks atrocious compared to the original one on 500px.

aaaaa.jpg

in 500px, go to the export link, then select embed link...

this is the URL bit you need to copy:

Screenshot 2021-01-16 091535.jpg

and you can paste that into our insert image / by url box

Screenshot 2021-01-16 092351.jpg

to get the image displayed.

v2

Frankly, it's a faff, and i'd strongly recommend Flickr instead for hosting and sharing pictures on here - provided you keep under the current 1000 photo free account limit at least.

Last edited:
Moving over from dpreview where I just upload any old stuff, I discovered about the upload size limit here by accident.

I think I shall have to get another Flickr account to share pics. Ad hoc I was just resizing using Preview on Mac but the embedded photos seem to be turning out pretty lousy - even by my standards.

I found a few web=based services that claim to reduce the JPEG size: compressjpeg.com, tinyjpg.com and freeconvert.com. I used the latter because it has more controls, but on an image where you wouldn't know if quality was compromised! Does anyone know if these services are unsafe?

I was just resizing using Preview on Mac but the embedded photos seem to be turning out pretty lousy - even by my standards.
About 50 years ago, when I first started taking pictures for newspapers and magazines, I was given a truly valuable piece of advice: "sharp is nice but impact is king".

These days, to post on forums, I use OS-X's Preview to reduce the images to 850 Pixells on the longest side, If the file size is still over 500K, I re-open it in Preview and use the File!Export command to knock it down.

These days, to post on forums, I use OS-X's Preview to reduce the images to 850 Pixells on the longest side, If the file size is still over 500K, I re-open it in Preview and use the File!Export command to knock it down.
Thanks for that Preview Export function, I hadn't seen that before. I'm sure it's safer than some random site on t'internet!

I tend to use max 1024 pixels for landscape, but max 800 pixels for portrait... maybe it's just my screen, but I hate scrolling up and down to see a portrait shot properly!

Back