SJCAM4000

I have one ...It's not bad!

You can get genuine one's on eBay or Ali Express. Just make sure it says 'SJACAM' in the description.

I have one and it's great. Uses most of the accessories for the gopro (mounts etc.).

The funny thing is that they started making fakes of them (when essentially it is a fake in itself) so you have to make sure you get one with the SJCam logo on the front. I have seen a guide before as well that explains how to spot a fake.

Good video quality. Mine has been dropped and wetted and still works fine.

I got genuine one to from ebay with loads of accessories , waterproof case and 2 batteries for £68. Only used it a couple of times for timelapse but pic quality really good.

its a bit ironic worrying about genuineness given that these are generally reffered to as the faux pro - and are basically a less well made go pro knock off

its a bit ironic worrying about genuineness given that these are generally reffered to as the faux pro - and are basically a less well made go pro knock off
We can always rely on you to provide such a positive and uplifting view of the matter.

True though - a bloke i know on another forum bought one of these to record drag racing clips - it lasted about 24 hours. do yourself a favour spend the extra 40 quid and get a go pro basic model

got mine from ebay for quadcopter.. lots of extras included, picked up several spare batteries too, works a treat. i have the wifi version ( genuine have sjcam on the front ) but worth looking at the SJCAM SJ5000 Arabella which has some big improvements.

Ive got one of these, its been strapped to my car for trackdays, under the water in the swimmin pool, thrown around the house by my son and still working 100%.

As above just make sure it has th SJCAM logo, but the SJ5000 looks good but a bit more expensive.

Ive got one of these, its been strapped to my car for trackdays, under the water in the swimmin pool, thrown around the house by my son and still working 100%.

As above just make sure it has th SJCAM logo, but the SJ5000 looks good but a bit more expensive.

Same here also had it strapped to the dog as he raced about the garden, been in the pool on two holidays and in the sea, water slides, go karts and nothing wrong with it also having the screen makes framing easier you don't get that with the basic go pro, well worth it for me

Apparently they say the ones that say SJCAM on the front of the camera are the genuine ones. Also the wi-fi button (if you got the wi-fi version) has the symbol imprinted on it. Also can check by trying to update the software as far as I've read and if it stops working properly then it's fake.

I was going to buy one but the audio put me off. I found this hack and it improves it ten-fold but still on deciding whether to get one or not.

I don't have a problem with the audio on mine obviously it is slightly lower volume if you have the full waterproof casing on

But if you mod the case like this it wont be waterproof anymore so you would be as well using the back plate that has slits in the side to let more sound in

The audio was very inaudible in all the reviews I've watched on YouTube hence how I found this hack. This was when people never had the case on. Yours is fine?

audio is fine with case off and on but as i say in certain instances with the full waterproof case on it can be a bit muffled

The the video/photo quality on par with GoPro?
Never used a GoPro but from what i can see it cant be far off it and from the use i will give it thats fine couldnt justify the cost of the GoPro as the basic one doesnt have a screen but the SJCAM does

works with all the GoPro add-ons so all good

I bought a genuine one after seeing the review on Techmoan( is that right?) Great cam, obviously its not got the goodies a GoPro has but the video quality is excellent. I sold it then shortly after missed it and bought another and its still going strong 2 years on. Its been on a quadcopter, strapped to a bike, on a surfboard and stuck on the side of a 4x4, (where I wasn't too bothered if it fell off.... it never did as it was mounted on a GoPro suction mount.
My Daughter has one now.

The general consensus is the Xaomi Yi is the best Chinese sports camera at the moment. Not as good as a Hero 4 but will give it it a run for its money given the price differential.

The Yi can shoot up to 1080P60 and has massive support across the Internet both on forums and on YouTube where you can get help.

Only downside is it does not have a screen but does have a wifi app where you can control and view everything.

The other popular option next to the SJCam is the Möbius. Different form factor to the other two but also popular.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the SJCAM SJ5000 on a regular basis? I'm thinking of buying 3 or 4 to replace my GoPro Hero 4 for an upcoming motorsport events. I'd rather sacrifice of them than the go pros!

I have both the 4000 and 5000 (none wifi )

Around £47 for the 4000 is a steal and for most people just wanting to do a bit of filming while on their travels and a bit of fun its great, down side is it a bit on the yellow tone side, can fix it post, it's a bit slow when going from light to dark areas.

The 5000 at around £75 is more on the blue side and I'd say a bit better and handles light changes better, it also has a larger 2" screen.

On each you pay about £10 more to have the wifi.

The newer 5000+ has gone back to the 1.5 screen, Around £100 with wifi and a new lens/censer, not used it but supposed to be the real step up from the 4000.

The new basic Gopro is £95 but it is just that basic.

Last edited:
I have the SJCAM4000 wifi and it's great.. never had a gopro, so great for playing about with without spending a fortune.

I have both the 4000 and 5000 (none wifi )

Around £47 for the 4000 is a steal and for most people just wanting to do a bit of filming while on their travels and a bit of fun its great, down side is it a bit on the yellow tone side, can fix it post, it's a bit slow when going from light to dark areas.

The 5000 at around £75 is more on the blue side and I'd say a bit better and handles light changes better, it also has a larger 2" screen.

On each you pay about £10 more to have the wifi.

The newer 5000+ has gone back to the 1.5 screen, Around £100 with wifi and a new lens/censer, not used it but supposed to be the real step up from the 4000.

The new basic Gopro is £95 but it is just that basic.

The newer SJ5000X with WiFi and 2" display is currently on offer at GearBest here: SJCAM 5000X 2K Sport Camera for $121 (approx £82 inc shipping) using coupon code SJ5000X at the checkout if anyone is interested.

I just picked up the Firefly 6S camera to try out and compare to my more expensive GoPro Hero 3 Black.
Apparently it does 4K at 24fps and 2.5K at 30fps so will test it out when it arrives.

Here is a vid I found on YT that persuaded me to buy it and try it out.

The newer SJ5000X with WiFi and 2" display is currently on offer at GearBest here: SJCAM 5000X 2K Sport Camera for $121 (approx £82 inc shipping) using coupon code SJ5000X at the checkout if anyone is interested.

I just picked up the Firefly 6S camera to try out and compare to my more expensive GoPro Hero 3 Black.
Apparently it does 4K at 24fps and 2.5K at 30fps so will test it out when it arrives.

Here is a vid I found on YT that persuaded me to buy it and try it out.

ohh nice
4k seems ott unless you have a 4k to play back on but the gyro would be very very handy, I'm going to wait till next year before upgrading, these things move on so fast.

Let us know how you get on with the Firefly.

Last edited:
Just a short vid nothing special with the SJCAM4000 with the case off, youtube rendering is not that good, looks better on the original, no editing just as it's shot.

View: https://youtu.be/FqPI5FNMSwQ

ohh nice
4k seems ott unless you have a 4k to play back on but the gyro would be very very handy, I'm going to wait till next year before upgrading, these things move on so fast.

4k is OTT even if you have a 4k screen. 4k + HDR + 100fps is what the industry is holding out for.

Just a short vid nothing special with the SJCAM4000 with the case off, youtube rendering is not that good, looks better on the original, no editing just as it's shot.

Looks a bit blue.

4k is OTT even if you have a 4k screen. 4k + HDR + 100fps is what the industry is holding out for.

Looks a bit blue.

Yes I think it's the latest firmware update, it was on the yellow side before, saying that, it was a very bright day and the sky's were clear and very blue, the greens and grey's are as they look in the video, I do think it's very close to the true colours maybe a bit over saturated but whites/ highlights are blown in the bright light.

Last edited:
You don't need a 4K screen to get some of the benefits of shooting in 4K .

By shooting in 4K as your original image but outputting teh final edit in 1080P, you get a number of benefits:
- more detail in your video
- You can take HiRes screen grabs from the video to use as photographs
- You can zoom/crop into a portion of the video without losing resolution eg if the original shot is particularly wide and you only want some of the frame
- Stabilizing shaky footage whilst still retaining a sharp icture and resolution
- Smoother pans in 1080P

Back