Skaters and Cars - Fuji Neopan 400 (c41 process).

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi!

I have recently bought myself a few Nikon SLRs and have been trying to shoot a test roll through each one as quickly as possible, just to make sure that they are all working.

These shots were all taken last Sunday, on a walk around Hannover, using my new Nikon FA and some Nikkor prime lenes and a 17-35mm zoom.

The scans were converted to greyscale, to get rid of the slightly 'sepia' look to the negs ;).

Scan104.jpg

Scan105.jpg

Scan091.jpg

Scan089.jpg

Scan088.jpg

Scan082.jpg

Thanks for looking (y).

Nice set of images and quite varied subjects. All very well exposed.
First 2 have quite a timeless quality and the lighting is nice and soft.
The last has some interesting shapes and textures and as a test image I think it demonstrated the camera and lens capability very well. I prefer the left hand side for the perspective.
The cars are interesting. There's some nice contrast and I like the reflections. The one of the merc is my fave for the symmetry. Shame about the two cars to the right and left, but you can't have everything ;)

1 and 2 are may favourites, I think I would have darkened the blacks in no2 just a tad so that the good lighting makes itself more pronounced. Those two definitely aren't simply point and hope. :) Also that Citroen DS is mega cool, I really want one of those!

Nice set of images and quite varied subjects. All very well exposed.
First 2 have quite a timeless quality and the lighting is nice and soft.
The last has some interesting shapes and textures and as a test image I think it demonstrated the camera and lens capability very well. I prefer the left hand side for the perspective.
The cars are interesting. There's some nice contrast and I like the reflections. The one of the merc is my fave for the symmetry. Shame about the two cars to the right and left, but you can't have everything ;)

Thanks for the crit, Loopy :)!

I like the Merc shoot too, mainly because of the reflections of the building and how they match the 'blockiness' of the pattern of the grill. You're right about the other two cars, but all of the parking spaces were full that day :shrug:.

1 and 2 are may favourites, I think I would have darkened the blacks in no2 just a tad so that the good lighting makes itself more pronounced. Those two definitely aren't simply point and hope. :) Also that Citroen DS is mega cool, I really want one of those!

Hi Lloyd!

I was shooting into the sun on that second one and when I pushed the blacks down in PP, it sort of destroyed the 'mood' of the shot and made for too much contrast, I thought. Maybe it's just because I was there and I remember how the light actually looked. As a photograph, it might well look better with a little more black. I'll have to go and have another play with it, once I've forgotten how that day looked.

The Citroen was in really amazing condition, c/w black leather(?) interior and lots of chrome trim. It's not a car that I would want to pay to maintain, personally, but it's a real joy to see a design with so much characrter - especially these days ;).

Really like that DS, so clean !

C

Oh yes, it was clean alright, CJ ;). I just wish that it hadn't been sandwiched between to other cars, as it really limited what I could do in terms of composition :(.

Last edited:
Great shots. I particularly like the 2nd. Also, a pretty clever trick converting the scans to grayscale!

Great shots. I particularly like the 2nd. Also, a pretty clever trick converting the scans to grayscale!

Hi Ajay and welcome to TP :)!

I find that these pseudo b&w films, like Fuji Neopan and Kodak BW400CN, tend to have a slight blueness to the highlights and a brownish tone in the darker areas (especially the Kodak). Some people quite like that, but personally, I prefer the greyscale look ;).

Converting these negs to greyscale doesn't allow any extra control of the 'look' of the fine toning, unlike scanning colour to greyscale, where you can really play around with the tonal balance in Lightroom (or similar software) though :|.

Back