Skomer Puffins

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Almost sorted the pics from Skomer now, just some odds n ends to do. Puffins are all on my fotopic site now. Here's a small selection.

This chap either wasn't aware or bothered by the threat of gulls, or was totally lost and couldn't find the burrow. Allowed for some floral shots.
4782144677_7d9ec85277_b.jpg

Looking rather happy about life, this chick, as it popped up above ground momentarily.
4775621542_54fca5b3bc_b.jpg

Coming into land on the cliff, and applying the air-brakes to slow down.
4817821730_50dec9209f_b.jpg

Probably taken with the Canon 50D and 100-400mm L IS lens. I say "probably" because I swapped bodies and lenses a fair bit during the puffin-sessions. :)

First posting on Talk Photography...

Great photos Pete - loved the one coming into land! Also enjoyed looking at your Fotopic images...

Already booked to visit Skomer in spring next year - really looking forward to it - just hope the weather behaves...

Shall also be taking the 100-400, but what other lenses did you find you used most on the island?

John

Hi John, welcome to TP (sure the others will be just as welcoming!).

For the puffins (and most other fast moving stuff) I used the 100-400, and usually at the shorter end. The puffins at Wick are so close though, you can use a kit lens! :)

For my shorties and little owls, I was using a 500mm F4 IS lens, plus 1.4 teleconverter (700mm), as they're quite flighty, despite being more accommodating than the ones I've seen during the winter in England.

Hi John, welcome to TP (sure the others will be just as welcoming!).

For the puffins (and most other fast moving stuff) I used the 100-400, and usually at the shorter end. The puffins at Wick are so close though, you can use a kit lens! :)

For my shorties and little owls, I was using a 500mm F4 IS lens, plus 1.4 teleconverter (700mm), as they're quite flighty, despite being more accommodating than the ones I've seen during the winter in England.

Thanks for the welcome Pete - and also thanks for confirming what I had vaguely remembered hearing elsewhere that not always necessary to use a long lens re the puffins...

Your 500mm F4 IS lens is a rather nice bit of kit though - something I promised myself I would save up for - one day....!

Cheers
John

Back