skull and misty water - EDIT added

Like this a lot(y) Would make a great Album Cover for a Metal Band:)

Hi Sarah, :wave: its been a while.

I like this a lot Sarah but, if I'm aloud my 2p worth maybe a little more light on Sidneys LHS and more smoke/mist around the chin area to bring it altogether. I'm assuming its a work in progress and look forward to a lot more of Sidney. (y)

forgot to mention Love the reflection.

Graham

WOW, Sarah that is soooooo spooooky (y)

Thanks Tina.
A bit of a shame that I didn't pick Sidney up in time for Halloween . . . just watch out for him next year :D

Like this a lot(y) Would make a great Album Cover for a Metal Band:)

Thanks Pete.
Funnily enough I thought "album cover" as I was processing it (y)

Hi Sarah, :wave: its been a while.

I like this a lot Sarah but, if I'm aloud my 2p worth maybe a little more light on Sidneys LHS and more smoke/mist around the chin area to bring it altogether. I'm assuming its a work in progress and look forward to a lot more of Sidney. (y)

forgot to mention Love the reflection.

Graham

:wave: Graham !!!
Haven't seen you around for ages. Hope all's well with you.

Good spot with the smoke around his chin. He was propped up just above the water and TBH I hadn't noticed the gap - that's what happens when you spend too long messing about with one photo! I reckon that's fairly easily fixed in PP with a bit of cloning though, so I'll have a play around tomorrow and get an edit up.

I'm not quite sure what to do about the lighting on his LHS though. I do have a couple of versions which were lit straight on, but they looked a bit too symmetrical and perfect, so I went for the side lit version. Hmmmmm . . . you've got me thinking now about whether I could blend one of those shots in, just to lift that side a little. Duly added to my "to play with" list for tomorrow.

And you're right again. Sidney will be making many appearances I think :D

I think you robbed my fish tank :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Can I just point out that Alastair and I haven't gone into the "Resurection Man" trade - digging's always been a little too much like hard work for me, and I haven't yet been tempted to bypass the undertaker and go direct to source (even though I can think of one or two people who would look at their best as the centrepeice of a wake!). :LOL:

And so to the critique...

Like the idea, using the water for a misty look certainly seems to have worked... As has been said before, the gap under the chin could probably benefit from being closed up a little, and is it me, or is Sidney tilting a little...

Oh - and just when I was congratulating myself on having a trained Bluebottle for my spooky shots, I notice you've already got a pet spider... and a hard working one at that - even in my old shed, I can't get cobwebs to order in under a day... bravo!!

Just as an aside, I was actually first looking at this shot on my laptop, with my back to the window. As the laptop is a bit old and naff, I could see a reflection of myself on the screen. Then I opened your thread, and Sidney popped up, right in the middle of my reflection - eye sockets in the right place, correct size, the works... Certainly made me sit up and notice...

Also gave me an idea for a similar shoot myself - but combining something like the shot above with one of my old self portraits...

Really liking this. Very clever effect with the smokey water and even more the web. Really adds to the spookyness of the photo. Also loving the reflection, fantastic :clap: I can see a lot of fun can be had with Sydney :)

Is it a real web? :thinking:

I like it Sarah. Sure a few tweaks might improve it but it's an excellent concept and well executed.

I think you robbed my fish tank :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Quite possibly :LOL:

That's really very good Sarah, I like the idea of using the water, it creates a brilliant effect and I think that I may have to try that out at some point (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks Matt.
I used a flash at the beginning of the exposure to freeze the reflection, then just generally swished it about.
Top tip for next time - black gloves :LOL: It would have saved me a lot of messing around with blurring and cloning parts of the mist to get rid of my motion-blurred hands.

Can I just point out that Alastair and I haven't gone into the "Resurection Man" trade - digging's always been a little too much like hard work for me, and I haven't yet been tempted to bypass the undertaker and go direct to source (even though I can think of one or two people who would look at their best as the centrepeice of a wake!). :LOL:

And so to the critique...

Like the idea, using the water for a misty look certainly seems to have worked... As has been said before, the gap under the chin could probably benefit from being closed up a little, and is it me, or is Sidney tilting a little...

Oh - and just when I was congratulating myself on having a trained Bluebottle for my spooky shots, I notice you've already got a pet spider... and a hard working one at that - even in my old shed, I can't get cobwebs to order in under a day... bravo!!

Just as an aside, I was actually first looking at this shot on my laptop, with my back to the window. As the laptop is a bit old and naff, I could see a reflection of myself on the screen. Then I opened your thread, and Sidney popped up, right in the middle of my reflection - eye sockets in the right place, correct size, the works... Certainly made me sit up and notice...

Also gave me an idea for a similar shoot myself - but combining something like the shot above with one of my old self portraits...

Thanks Mark and I'm glad that Sidney's inspired an SP with a difference. I'm intrigued at how that's going to work out, so I'll definitely look out for it.

Edit coming along shortly with Sidney straightened up (the poor thing was balanced on an upturned plant pot, so he can be forgiven for being a little wonky) and his chin misted up a bit more. (y) Those are the kind of details that I sometimes just can't see for looking in my own shots.

p.s. Fred did indeed do a wonderful job at web-building in the little time I gave him (alternatively it may have just come out of a can of "silly string" cobweb stuff that Morrison's were selling cheap after Halloween)

Really liking this. Very clever effect with the smokey water and even more the web. Really adds to the spookyness of the photo. Also loving the reflection, fantastic :clap: I can see a lot of fun can be had with Sydney :)

Is it a real web? :thinking:

Thanks Scott.
I promise that there's a lot more of Sidney to come - and if you fancy your very own Sid, he was only £10 from Pets@Home's aquarium section.
Thankfully the web is completely fake (I really don't do spiders). It came out of a can of Halloween "silly string" cobweb stuff.

I like it Sarah. Sure a few tweaks might improve it but it's an excellent concept and well executed.

Thanks Rhod.
It took a bit of trial and error, but it's a technique that I enjoyed and one I'll be trying again in the future.
Who would have thought that a plastic skull, a black bowl and a plant pot could be so much fun :LOL:

Loved the shot before, but with the extra "misting" around his chin it's even better (y)

Thank you Vaughan.

This is excelnt Sarah (y)

Thanks Allan, I'm glad that you like it.

Loved the shot before, but with the extra "misting" around his chin it's even better (y)

Thanks Mark,
His tilt has been straightened up a bit too.
And thanks again for the tips on tracking down a model :)

More mist and subtle lighting LHS - Perfect Sarah... :clap:

Graham

Thanks Graham.
Although the LHS was a bit of a cheat. I used one of the shots with that side fully lit up, overlaid it and blended it in with a low opacity.

It really would :)

Thanks Wendy.
Just need to find a metal band who would appreciate it now :)

Sarah.
The effects are really really good, plenty of work gone into this, well thought out, if i had one issue it would i get the feeling Sidney is a little lop sided. Having said that i really like the spookyness of it all, great work...(y)

I would like to purchase one of these, any ideas where ?.?.

That is clever! I like that . . . most certainly something I'll try for myself for next year's halloween. Good job well done! (y)

Liked the first one, but your edited one is fantastic Sarah :clap: As you say, now for that heavy metal rock band to come forward (y)

Sarah.
The effects are really really good, plenty of work gone into this, well thought out, if i had one issue it would i get the feeling Sidney is a little lop sided. Having said that i really like the spookyness of it all, great work...(y)

I would like to purchase one of these, any ideas where ?.?.

Thank you !!!
Most of the work was in the set up TBH - oh and cloning bits of the mist to cover up echoes of my hands :LOL:
I know what you mean about lopsided Sid. Evenly lit he was a bit too symmetrical, but the lighting is probably not quite right. Something to work on for next time.

Sid was £10 from Pets@Home's aquarium section - a real bargain IMO.

That is clever! I like that . . . most certainly something I'll try for myself for next year's halloween. Good job well done! (y)

Thanks Ian.
This really was good fun - and I'm not sure that I can wait until next Halloween to have a play around again.

Liked the first one, but your edited one is fantastic Sarah :clap: As you say, now for that heavy metal rock band to come forward (y)

Thanks Scott.
Now does anyone know any metal bands?

Very nice Sarah.
Think the extra mist is a little too much for me - slight hint would be better IMO.

Looks like Boris had a brother! Very creative, and effective..

Very nice Sarah.
Think the extra mist is a little too much for me - slight hint would be better IMO.

Thanks Charles.
I've been thinking about ways to improve the whole milky water thing. Next time I might have a go with blowing a hairdryer over the surface to create rather more subtle movement than just splashing around.

Looks like Boris had a brother! Very creative, and effective..

:wave: Sid says hello to Boris ;)
Thanks Alastair - and thanks again for the tip on finding him.

So that's where Percy's brother went..... Really great shot, love the misting and the spiders web. Percy is inspired to try this.

Andy

Something different. I like this.

Thank you Ceri.

So that's where Percy's brother went..... Really great shot, love the misting and the spiders web. Percy is inspired to try this.

Andy

:LOL: Boris, Percy, Sidney . . . just how many of them are there?
I always love seeing Percy on here, so I'm happy to have given him some inspiration. Will look forward to seeing his (with a little help from you of course) take on it.

Stunning shot!

Thanks Kris

Back