Sky watcher EQM35 Pro dslr conversion

Name
David Bayley
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm on the look out for a star tracker and I've stumbled across a Sky watcher EQM35 Pro for reasonable money in used condition. What would I need apart from an L bracket and ball head to convert it for use with a dslr, or should i just buy a dslr specific tracker and save myself the hassle and time?

Sky at night magazine gave it a good writeup, and you can use a scope on it later if you want, plus it's guidable although it doesn't seem to need that for reasonable length exposures. Steel tripod looks like mine on my eq5, seems sturdy enough and payload at 10kg is a fraction more. At £629 it's more expensive than an eq5pro by quite some margin so I hope you are getting it for a lot less than £540 (eq5 pro price new).

I've seen it listed for £350 and it's been used a couple of times, obviously I would put a cheeky offer in on it to see if I can get it for less.

With it being a sturdier design that the adventurer pro entry model type, it would see me in good stead for the future. I've seen a conversion guide on YouTube where a chap removes the dec and weights and fits an L bracket, but there is another part that that the L bracket fits into that covers the motor (I assume)? Screenshot_20190510-225117_YouTube.jpg

That looks like a heftier version of the mount I use for astrophography with my Sigma 150-600. All you need is a wedge with a tripod screw. Then you can either add a ball head or mount direct to the camera/lens bush. Got to be out this morning but if you're interested I'll see if I can find where I bought my wedge and post a pic. Is the one you've found the GoTo version? If you intend just doing wide field (Milky Way type) shots it doesn't matter if it's not, but if you intend using a long lens as I do, it'd be a world of frustration without it.

I'm not sure if it is the go to version, I will have to do some research on that to confirm.
As for the mounting I believe I can use a wedge with a ball head or an L bracket with a ball head.
The part that's confusing me is the white shroud that is attached before the L bracket/or wedge. Is it a part thats been removed from the dec bracket that is used for the telescope or is it a new part entirely?

White shroud? Just looks to me like he's got it part dismantled. This is my head with ball head on wedge, though usually I'm using a long lens so the lens foot bush is direct to the wedge. 'Scuse rubbish photos - to move the mount out of its place I've got to move loads of other stuff first. House it not big enough! I'm not sure why you'd need to remove something to attach a camera, but I do like to keep things simple.

full

full

Here is a screen shot of the said part.Screenshot_20190511-093430_YouTube.jpg

Yes it is where the wedge would sit I believe.

The seller has confirmed everything is included in the sale and she has thrown in the 17Ah battery pack for the sale price.

Looks like I'll be entering the world of astro photography very soon :cool:

Yes it is where the wedge would sit I believe.

The seller has confirmed everything is included in the sale and she has thrown in the 17Ah battery pack for the sale price.

Looks like I'll be entering the world of astro photography very soon :cool:
Oh dear! :)

Back