Scotland Skye

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Off to Skye soon for a holiday / photo trip. Haven't been for many years, have already ordered industrial quantity supplies of midge repellent and plenty of waterproofs (my memory of my last trip having an effect here!)
Any suggestions for great spots for photos?

Thanks.

At the moment there are still no midges as its too cold, chilliest May we've had for a while!
Weather is a bit mixed, sunshine one minute and heavy showers the next with a cold wind.
The usual spots for photography are quiraing (sunrise), old man of storr (sunrise), storr lochs, neist point (sunset), elgol, sligachan area for cuillin hills, fairy pools, talisker bay, fairy glen

Thanks Marie and Steve, very helpful, looking forward to it even more now! :) My barber, a keen climber, described his favourite spots but almost every one was at the top of peaks so places a bit less strenuous are appreciated :)

Was there last week camping, no midges at all, still a bit cold, got down to 3 degrees at night.

Thanks. Going up start of July, hoping it will have warmed up a bit by then!

I hope so, if its any consolation through the day was warm enough with no wind. You mentioned places to go, one place I wanted to visit was the old man of storr. I climbed up to the base of it and took loads of photos, I was up early around 9am when I reached the top and only had 2 other people there. On the way back down I passed more than 50 people on their way up to it. So glad I got up it early and avoided the crowds.

Its a great drive out there too with some fantastic scenery and a massive waterfall before it.

Make sure you pay a visit to 'The Wee Tea Room' which is in Glen Eynort (about 2 to 3 miles drive from Carbost). Its run by Friends. Jon is a fantatstic photographer and I doubt there is a location on Skye that he hasnt photographed, so im sure he will point you to some interesting places also. Oh...and Linda, his Wife, makes some amazing cakes (y)

If you're in the north of the island then there's a road which crosses the Trotternich Ridge from Uig which is a nice route on a single track road and has a car park where you can take a stroll along a path for pictures of the Quirang and look back down the Trotternish Ridge. Follow the road right over to the east side and you're not too far from the Old Man of Storr. Follow that road south towards Portree and a little north of Rigg there's a bit where you can pull off the road and hop over a fence, following the cliff down to a ravine where there's one of those classic tree growing out of the side of a ravine shots as you look towards Raasay.

Neist Point, Elgol, Sligachan. Almost everywhere has some decent opportunities on Skye and the scenery can be magical even in the worst of weather.

Have a great trip and Avon 'Skin so Soft' is apparently the best midge repellant you can get.

Make sure you pay a visit to 'The Wee Tea Room' which is in Glen Eynort (about 2 to 3 miles drive from Carbost). Its run by Friends. Jon is a fantatstic photographer and I doubt there is a location on Skye that he hasnt photographed, so im sure he will point you to some interesting places also. Oh...and Linda, his Wife, makes some amazing cakes (y)
:agree:

Fairy glen up by uig is very pretty. Talisker bay is quite nice though in 20 trips I'm yet to go there. Fairy pools on the glenbrittle road. The beach next to the graveyard by loch harport (carbost) is not too bad, there were some old boats there (I've not been for two years but they are likely still there) and you can see glamaig and the black cuillins.

Sounds like my kind of place Nick! :) Thank you. And brilliant pointers there Jim and Alice, thanks for all those. Can't wait now! :)

Fairy glen up by uig is very pretty. Talisker bay is quite nice though in 20 trips I'm yet to go there. Fairy pools on the glenbrittle road. The beach next to the graveyard by loch harport (carbost) is not too bad, there were some old boats there (I've not been for two years but they are likely still there) and you can see glamaig and the black cuillins.

They were still there last August

skye-4.jpg

skye-1-3.jpg

skye-2.jpg

Maybe a little late now but... Elgol was reputed to have the best sunsets in the uk. You might like to ride the car ferry from Glenelg-Kylerhea sooner than take the bridge over (see http://skyeferry.co.uk/ ) to Skye. This is full of character and packed with photo-opportunities whatever the weather. The driver inland from Kylerhea is gobsmackingly beautiful on deserted (and slow!) roards,

I'm envious. I don't think there is anywhere on Skye which is not worth a visit with a camera!

Oh, and a +1 for Avon Skin-so-soft. The most effective flavour being Forest Green.

Steve

@ST4 - I love your photos of Skye. Especially the first one (Neist Point) I'd be interested in any comments you have about achieving that one - its gorgeous! :)

@ST4 - I love your photos of Skye. Especially the first one (Neist Point) I'd be interested in any comments you have about achieving that one - its gorgeous! :)

Read all about it on my Blog

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/isle-of-skye-landscape-photography/

Easy image to take really. Sun was setting to my right, low sun, golden light. No grads, use histogram live preview for seeing the histogram for the exposure and focussed manually in live view to ensure it was sharp. The only sting was the shot was taken using a Tilt and shift lens, so the body was straight the lens shifted down to include less sky but keep the verticals of the light house straight.

@ST4 Wow, thanks. I'm afraid much of that is over-my-head at the moment. I'll come back to it later!

Steve

@ST4 Wow, thanks. I'm afraid much of that is over-my-head at the moment. I'll come back to it later!

Steve

It's really easy. Get the light and composition right, then get the exposure and focus right. Cameras are not tricky to use.

If you want a 121 based tuition to cover the basics , get in touch via my website.

Back