Sleeping Beauty (second picture added for c+c)

Edit My Images
Yes
My youngest daughter at 6 weeks.

Maybe not as good as id like technically but hey, im just showing her off really.

C+C ok for the learning curve.

Edit- Ive added another shot further down the thread that id value an opinion on,

_1021464bwwebresized.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
80 views and only one reply, no C+C either.

I doubt its so good that no one can offer anything to improve it !

Or is it simply a "snap shot" that can't be improved ?

Ive got tough skin guys/gals, if it doesn't work please say so but give me some constructive reasons why.

Last edited:
80 views and only one reply, no C+C either.

I doubt its so good that no one can offer anything to improve it !

Ive got tough skin guys/gals, if it doesn't work please say so but give me some constructive reasons why.

I think it works just fine, I was going to say more contrast, but no, its fine. And she is cute!!

The forums lately have been quit on the crit front...

Gary.

Thanks Gary

This was one of those shots where I really wasn't sure whether or not to post it on here.

Whilst I want to learn and hopefully improve, Im quite fussy about what I post on here. If a shot gives me a good vibe then I'll post it, if it doesn't then I won't. This one was borderline on the vibe front although I do like it as a "memory" shot. Does that make sense ?

Thanks Gary

This was one of those shots where I really wasn't sure whether or not to post it on here.

Whilst I want to learn and hopefully improve, Im quite fussy about what I post on here. If a shot gives me a good vibe then I'll post it, if it doesn't then I won't. This one was borderline on the vibe front although I do like it as a "memory" shot. Does that make sense ?

Makes 100% sense. Its a lovely shot of your newborn!! :)

Gary.

An edit if you don't mind. Just ask and I shall remove (y)

1021464bwwebresized_copy.jpg

Like EG says, a slight contrast and brightness adjustment and then a vignette to try and soften the corners and feature the beautiful face.

I love the crop and I think you caption suits.

well if i am totally honest ..
i am not 100% keen on the angle this is shot at.. when i look at it i am drawn to her nostrils and then it looks like i am looking right up there :eek:

as said she is loverly . also the darkness of the shot make's the photo look hard to me. have you tried any shots with more light .. it could make the shot feel softer..

all just imho of course:shrug:

md(y)

Hi m8

First - congrats, and keep shooting - you need these as memory shots however they come out. All we need do is improve your technique a bit (y)

Good baby shots are often surprisingly hard considering they don't move much, especially when asleep

There are two 'problems' really with this shot of yours - looking up noses is never flattering, and the lighting is simply too harsh for the subject. Unless you have a big softbox, try to avoid flash

Here's a shot of a 7-day old baby that could easily have been done near any decent sized window. The baby is laid on a bean-bag covered with a cream blanket, and simply moved about a bit until the lighting appears to give both form to the baby and be pleasant too

In this case, the 'window' is on the opposite side to me (so the baby is between me & the light) - top tip for parents trying this... wear a white t-shirt/shirt as it'll act as a mini reflector

HTH

DD

DD_-_baby_example.jpg

I have to disagree with your take on the OP shot. I think it captures so much emotion; peace, love, warmth, sleeping, togetherness and a bond. Your shot, is a standard portrait, bully74uk has produced something unique.

My opinion of course. (y)

I have to disagree with your take on the OP shot. I think it captures so much emotion; peace, love, warmth, sleeping, togetherness and a bond. Your shot, is a standard portrait, bully74uk has produced something unique.

And a very valid opinion too as we are all entitled to, however...

A harshly lit up-the-nose shot of a baby is not that unique tbh - that's why people pay me :D

And sorry, but I don't see any bond or togetherness in having a tiny bit of a hairy OoF arm in-shot that you darkened and almost hid :shrug:

It'll be interesting to see if the OP would have like to take shots of his baby like mine then; he did ask for C&C to 'improve' on his own posted shot

Each to their own :)

DD

An edit if you don't mind. Just ask and I shall remove (y)

1021464bwwebresized_copy.jpg

Like EG says, a slight contrast and brightness adjustment and then a vignette to try and soften the corners and feature the beautiful face.

I love the crop and I think you caption suits.

No need to remove, I like your edit a lot and will attempt to re-create something similar with the original. Yours seems a bit sharper (maybe its the adjusted brightness) around the face and cheeks.

Hi m8

First - congrats, and keep shooting - you need these as memory shots however they come out. All we need do is improve your technique a bit (y)

Good baby shots are often surprisingly hard considering they don't move much, especially when asleep

There are two 'problems' really with this shot of yours - looking up noses is never flattering, and the lighting is simply too harsh for the subject. Unless you have a big softbox, try to avoid flash

Here's a shot of a 7-day old baby that could easily have been done near any decent sized window. The baby is laid on a bean-bag covered with a cream blanket, and simply moved about a bit until the lighting appears to give both form to the baby and be pleasant too

In this case, the 'window' is on the opposite side to me (so the baby is between me & the light) - top tip for parents trying this... wear a white t-shirt/shirt as it'll act as a mini reflector

HTH

DD

DD_-_baby_example.jpg

Thanks DD. I have seen many of your portraits many of which I would love to get even somewhere near to so I will take on board your advice and keep practicing with different lighting, angles etc.

The "up the nostril" view is the one area of the picture that I wasn't sure about myself however there is something about the closeness and angle of the shot that I liked.

Thanks Tiler65, your comments are appreciated.

And sorry, but I don't see any bond or togetherness in having a tiny bit of a hairy OoF arm in-shot that you darkened and almost hid :shrug:

Not that it matters too much but that "hairy oof arm" is actually part of my other halfs jumper (y)

Not that it matters too much but that "hairy oof arm" is actually part of my other halfs jumper (y)

Glad it's not her arm then :eek::eek::eek:

Just remember that (other than tiler65's view ;)) harsh light and babies rarely go well together, and it's easier to use window light than flash without quite a bit of kit

You should start your own baby thread, posting an image every month as she develops (y)

DD

OK I had another go today but this time tried to use natural light from the window instead of flash, based on DD's recommendation.

I know its a slightly different shot but id be interested to know whether people prefer this one to my original posting ?

Im not sure about the dark shadows on one side of her face but after moving her around a fair bit it was the best I could get.

_2081522web.jpg

Shadows give form to a subject - don't be afraid of shadows

This is much better IMO - but as you can see from the light spot in her eyes, it's still a bit low. Try to get that specular highlight in the top half of her eyes and you're onto a winner

Nice one anyway

(y)

DD

but as you can see from the light spot in her eyes, it's still a bit low. Try to get that specular highlight in the top half of her eyes and you're onto a winner

Thanks DD

Im not sure I understand quite what you mean by this.

Do you mean that I should try and get the light coming down more from overhead ?

Last edited:
Imagine her eyes as a clock face

The specular highlight at anything around 2 or 10 is generally considered the best, so yes, more from above as you say - just means sliding her around a bit more on her changing mat

DD

Thank you (y)

Back