Scotland Sleeping in your car - who does it?

I converted this last year ready for my retirement , It has a full size double bed in it , Yes 6ft 4" x 4ft 6" , Kitchen pod with double burner and sink , Table and seating , Also lots of storage in the over head lockers and under the bed

How does it effect your insurance? bad or good? many yrs ago..in another life :) I bought a long wheel base tranny that was converted to a bus.. council job with proper steps in and everyhting... emergency door at back.... Insuarace went through the roof because it wasnt as intended..

I was thinking of doing simmilar to you but more a day van so just wondering :)

I use Sheild total insurance , They do a policy that allows for conversion time in use ,
My full comp with recovery is just under £500 a year

I also recoment the self build caravan club as being a member has it's benifits

About 30 years ago I had a holiday driving round Europe for a fortnight & despite packing a tent we slept in the car every night bar one (in a hotel for the showers).
Two of us in a 2+2 didn't leave a lot of room in the car, but it wasn't bad & easier than setting up the tent.

Slightly more recently (~25 years ago) my wife & I had to sleep in the car when we were late back from a night out & my father in law had bolted the doors. Unexpected with out sleeping bags did prove uncomfortable.

The most recent time would be only a couple of years ago travelling to & from my brothers place in France. 9 hours from Calais so we ended up splitting the journey. This time there were 5 of us so one opted to sleep on a picnic table rather than on a cramped rear seat. This (planned but adlib style) probably would be closer to the type of sleep I'd get if out for photography and might have proved unpleasant if it had been cold & wet.

The only thing that bothers me about car sleeping is the toilet . As someone said there are lots in Scotland but getting in and out of a car when in need would bother me

I've slept in my old Saab 99 when I was locked out of my house - lock was broken and locksmith was cheaper at daytime... Saabs do the best seats and it was comfortable (I was in my garage)

Then 14 years ago I did a mammoth drive from The Hague to Munich and back in one day in a Saab 9-3 Aero, 1100 miles in 23 hours with the odd stop just off the autobahn for a quick kip, no problems at all.

That reminds me of several great runs - Geneva to Glasgow in a day (inc well Lunch to breakfast time) in my Merc E - and the best one, Northern Spain to Argyll in 26hrs - transversing France, England and some of Scotland all in a day in my Volvo S80. 1240 miles or something in 25hrs, inc Ferries.

Now with Covid this won't be so easy with all the different forms, border checks etc. It was a golden age we lived through.

Actually, there is guidance...

If you need to urinate, do so at least 30m from open water or rivers and
streams. If you need to defecate, do so as far away as possible from
buildings, from open water or rivers and streams, and from any farm
animals. Bury faeces in a shallow hole and replace the turf.

Yes, I've slept in my car, but found it quite cold and lonely; and, incidentally, for future reference the correct answer to "Do these jeans make my bum look big?" isn't "No, all the chocolate you eat makes your bum look big."

Just sayin....
Go into almost any motorway service area and check out how many company reps, coach drivers, etc are taking a sneaky nap. (Don't forget to set a 1 hr 30 alarm to awake in enough time to avoid the dreaded 2hr ANPR camera limit).

This is the unfortunate but common, if not universal, way of such things.

I recall years ago when we used to drive overnight from London to NW Scotland for summer holidays. Southwaite Services on the M6 was the usual stop to grab a few hours sleep. There always a few cars/caravans and motorhomes having a rest and there was never any problems and no restriction on the time - how times have changed.

Dave

I agree, mostly. However, the "restriction on time", thing. That is where it all gets crazy. If there is a blanket restriction on the amount of time a vehicle is allowed to stay in a motorway service area without receiving a fine, then how come most motorway stations have some form of travel lodge, motel, overnight rest stop?

Its a long time since I used a travel lodge etc at a motorway services but I think they usually have a separate parking area or record the reg. number.

Dave

The main reasons for the 2 hour ristriction is £££££ cerching ££££££
Also someone could rock up and live for free on site for a considerable time

I kip in my car frequently on photo outings. I always buy an estate for that purpose. It is frozen in winter but it is really nice waking up already at your venue and it is easier than pitching tents. I had a spell of using air bnb as it was easy to find places in the middle of nowhere particularly in Anglesey etc but that is far harder now and Covid has stopped some doing it and others think their spare bed is a 4 star hotel judging by prices. I had a camper van when I was young and used to tour round with bands parking outside venues etc, I'd love to get one again but they are ridiculously expensive now so it might have to wait until retirement where at least I can get the value out of the investment. It is easy enough to find somewhere to kip most places you would want to do landscapes. I've visited most corners of Britain kipping in my car. It has been cheap and although not particularly comfortable it doesn't need arranged and gives a brilliant sense of freedom. Get a good sleeping bag and remember some pillows. Mattress toppers are decent for a base but I usually just use a camping mat

Heading from Lancashire to Girvan (near Ayr) with my photography and golf gear this weekend for a week and as I will be much nearer I’m going to do my first run up to Glencoe on one of the days and plan the following:-

Early start, steady run on the A82 to enjoy the experience, maybe divert at Glen Etive to Loch Etive (Buchaille, Bond shot etc) steady again on the A82 with a few shot stops etc. Sunset somewhere (not expecting much looking at the forecast) food and kip in the car. Sunrise as I head west towards the Corpach Wreck (or maybe take in a castle perhaps ). Glenfinnan viaduct then pretty much reverse all that apart from the diversion to Loch Etive.

Sounds tiring but I like the plan.

Makes perfect sense from spring until late summer by pitching up for sunset and staying for over for sunrise. Quiet rural spots are best and if you can find a gated road that’s ideal as far less chance of being disturbed. But usually find the corner of an empty layby then use blankets, coats, pillows or whatever to shield the windows. Never been bothered up north but it’s harder to find quiet park ups in the south - around the London area I’ve found you get a lot more idiots around late in the evenings with car meets etc

I try not to, but just over a week ago, I finished work in Wales somewhat later than was planned (7pm) & couldn't face the return drive (>5 hours) so found a quiet spot & photographed Conwy castle at sunrise before heading back.

Back