Slightly confused - Nikon lens.

fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
I have done a search and can`t find the answer, so if its been covered,apologies.

Nikon lenses,primarily I use my 17-55 2.8 DX,70-200 VR and my 80-400 VR, these are hooked up to mainly a D200 and sometimes a D70s. I have been looking at the new D3, if I do get one (heres wishing.....:)), I assume the two long zooms would be fine on the D3 with no crop factor? But what about the 17-55, being a DX lens, would it work as normal on the D3 , or would the D3 recognise it as a DX lens and revert to being a "cropped" sensor?

Does that make sense..........:cautious:

How do this grab you fracster ... :thinking: ... direct from a D3 review ...

"Also supports DX lenses, viewfinder automatically masks (5.1 megapixels with DX lens)"

HTH ... :shrug:

:p

Guess that answers my query in full.

DOH.......:bonk:

Yes the lens will work on a D3, the camera automatically crops out the area not covered by the dx format, so you only get 5.1Mp when a DX lens is attached.

Pete

Yes the lens will work on a D3, the camera automatically crops out the area not covered by the dx format, so you only get 5.1Mp when a DX lens is attached.

Pete

Any idea why ?......:shrug:

Actually I wasn't ... :shrug: ... really I wasn't ... :D ... I was just pleased to be helpful for a change ... :cautious:

So when are you going to invest in the D3 then ... :naughty:

:p

When I can use my D200 properly.........:LOL:

Seriously, don`t know yet, they are a lot of money for a keen enthusiast like me.

Or swap in the 17-55 for a 17-35. I thought I read somewhere that it was full frame coverage and even sharper!?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is true, but then the OP would have a gap from 35-75 which for most is a much used area. And buying a 17-35mm is getting tricky as there aren't many around :(

If moving to full frame then replacing the 17-55 with a 24-70 is perfect, but if staying with DX cameras this means you loose the wide end.

Rather than start a new thread. I have been looking at a new 300mm F4, I currently use an 80-400, would I notice a significant improvent in the clarity and sharpness of my photos of birds etc , if I splashed out on the 300 prime, over my 80-400?

TIA.

The 300/4 is a really sharp lens can't comment on the 80-400 because I've never had one, but I regretted selling my 300/4.

The reduction to DX format size with DX lenses is surely going to give the D3 and edeg in the pro-am market where photographers will have a legacy set of lenses from prevous DX cameras? It's a great idea and means you can keep using kit that you already have.

*Note to self - sell kidney in morning and put deposit down on D3 :)

What is the difference between AFS and AFI lenses please........:wacky::shrug:

Both are Autofocus, I indicates that focus is through a motor in the lens and S means it a super special ( Silent Wave) motor doing the focusing in the lens.
Allan

Thank you........(y)

This is true, but then the OP would have a gap from 35-75 which for most is a much used area. And buying a 17-35mm is getting tricky as there aren't many around :(

If moving to full frame then replacing the 17-55 with a 24-70 is perfect, but if staying with DX cameras this means you loose the wide end.

You can use your legs y'know.

sorry im just trying to learn , so whats an AFI lens then ?

As answered about 6 posts up - I = internal focus motor , S= Silent motor.

AFI, is like a Canon EF, AFS is like a Canon HSM, but obviously the nikon lenses are far better optically. :nikon::whistle:

AFI, is like a Canon EF, AFS is like a Canon HSM, but obviously the nikon lenses are far better optically. :nikon::whistle:

Not quite. Canon's "EF" is equivalent to Nikon's "FX", and what Nikon calls AF-S Canon actually calls "USM": "HSM" is Sigma.

Thom Hogan explains the Nikon side of things pretty well here: http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

Not quite. Canon's "EF" is equivalent to Nikon's "FX", and what Nikon calls AF-S Canon actually calls "USM": "HSM" is Sigma.

Thom Hogan explains the Nikon side of things pretty well here: http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

your right about USM, was thinking sigma at the time, Im not aware of a "FX" series of lenses, FX refers to a full frame body.

EF is canons basic internal motor focusing lens.

your right about USM, was thinking sigma at the time, Im not aware of a "FX" series of lenses, FX refers to a full frame body.

EF is canons basic internal motor focusing lens.

FX lenses on Nikon don't have a specific designation, but they're still FX--lenses whose imaging circles cover a full 35mm frame. These naturally include all the old film lenses, as well as the new full frame lenses that have been brought out with digital specifically in mind. I don't know anyone who doesn't refer to them as FX, for sanity and ease :)

EF on Canon is full frame, and EF-S is APS-C. Compatibility is slightly different with Canon, though; EF-S mounts take both EF and EF-S lenses, but EF mounts take only EF.

FX lenses on Nikon don't have a specific designation, but they're still FX--lenses whose imaging circles cover a full 35mm frame. These naturally include all the old film lenses, as well as the new full frame lenses that have been brought out with digital specifically in mind. I don't know anyone who doesn't refer to them as FX, for sanity and ease :)

EF on Canon is full frame, and EF-S is APS-C. Compatibility is slightly different with Canon, though; EF-S mounts take both EF and EF-S lenses, but EF mounts take only EF.

im with you, but i was trying to basically compare focus motor systems, not the compatibility on 35mm vs crop sensors, indeed ef-s is crop only, but its the EF vs USM i was comparing to AF-S...

i think youre talking tosh here ,,,,no such thing as a nikkor AFI lens .....the silent wave lenses ( AF-S ) have an internal motor

if you go into shooting menu,select image area you can turn auto dx crop on or off so lenses can still be used ff,obviously with vignetting of varying degree depending on focal length.

i think youre talking tosh here ,,,,no such thing as a nikkor AFI lens .....

Tosh my bottom! Whats this then? :naughty:

Nikkor produced AF-I lenses from about 1992 to 1996, before the AF-S came out

Allan

Back