Slingshot 200 AW

i can vouch for these also... great bag, loads of padding, easy to use and very well made.
all in all a very well thought out bag.

go for it and get one!

Ive got a Slingshot 100 and 300.
Think the 300 is going to have to go and be replaced by a rucksack.

The 100 is great is for just lugging the D80 and a couple of small lens round.

Tis a great bag for a day out around town but I found that for a trip away you need the support of two straps on a backpack. Lowepro do great bags and I upgraded to a AW mini trekker in the end.

I had a 300 and although it was good it wasnt great. It just wasnt quite big enough to have a D3 with a 70-200 attached and I found that this combo would get caught up when I tried to get it out plus it didnt have enough space for the sftuff I carry about. I did give it the benefit of the doubt for a couple of weeks but eventually chopped it in for a Stealth Reporter 500.

Tis a great bag for a day out around town but I found that for a trip away you need the support of two straps on a backpack. Lowepro do great bags and I upgraded to a AW mini trekker in the end.

:plus1:

A number of people plus myself found the SS300 once full caused severe shoulder/back pain if carried for a long periods of time.

The 100 is a purse & the 200 a handbag when compared to the 300

Quick question for 200 AW owners.

I picked one up yesterday in town and I like it, but I spotted something I'm not sure was right. The rain cover, when pulled out from underneath, consists of primarily grey material, but with a black elasticated edging all the way around. On mine, the edging isn't attached to the grey material all the way around (there's a hole that coincides with one of the straps). Is that hole supposed to be there?

Thanks. :)

PS - I don't intend to use mine for more than day trips, and I don't have that much kit anyway (would have got the 100 AW but it's too small for my 70-300).

A number of people plus myself found the SS300 once full caused severe shoulder/back pain if carried for a long periods of time.

I have the SS200 and I think it's spot on as an about town daypack, but, when I bought mine, I tried the 300 in the shop, and agree it's much too big and very uncomfortable for a slingshot design. If you need a bag that size, a backback type, IMHO, is the way to go.

Pete

Quick question for 200 AW owners.

I picked one up yesterday in town and I like it, but I spotted something I'm not sure was right. The rain cover, when pulled out from underneath, consists of primarily grey material, but with a black elasticated edging all the way around. On mine, the edging isn't attached to the grey material all the way around (there's a hole that coincides with one of the straps). Is that hole supposed to be there?

Thanks. :)

PS - I don't intend to use mine for more than day trips, and I don't have that much kit anyway (would have got the 100 AW but it's too small for my 70-300).

Yes, from memory there are holes on the bottom between the elastic and grey material for the securing strap, at the top there is a velcro loop that hooks around the shoulder strap for protection of the seam in the rain

Just to add my views on the SlingShot 200.

I didn't like the one I had. It was fine for carrying a little bit of kit around and did allow fairly easy access to the camera but getting a different lens out involves removing the bag and putting it down somewhere solid. Since I tend to have the camera around my neck and ready for action when I'm expecting to use it, I saw no benefit in the SlingShot over the MiniTrekker (apart from size - but being able to carry more kit in the MiniTrekker outweighs that IMO). The other major benefit of the MiniTrekker is that the chest strap of the backpack goes through the adjustment loops of the neckstrap of the camera and reduces the load on my neck!

Yes, from memory there are holes on the bottom between the elastic and grey material for the securing strap, at the top there is a velcro loop that hooks around the shoulder strap for protection of the seam in the rain
Thankyou. It looked like it was meant to be that way but I just wasn't sure. I had spotted the velcro but hadn't figured out what that was for yet.

As previously said, it'll take my 450D and 70-300 IS. Bigger body wouldn't be a problem but it's on the limit for lens size. It's great for what it is (and ideal for me), but heavy single strap bags are bad for the back so it's best not weighed down with kit.

Thankyou. It looked like it was meant to be that way but I just wasn't sure. I had spotted the velcro but hadn't figured out what that was for yet.

As previously said, it'll take my 450D and 70-300 IS. Bigger body wouldn't be a problem but it's on the limit for lens size. It's great for what it is (and ideal for me), but heavy single strap bags are bad for the back so it's best not weighed down with kit.

No worries, mine has had a lot of use but not in the rain, had to get to grips with the rain cover for the first time myself last weekend. I have a much bigger bag for when I need all my kit but this is great when I will be walking a great distance and only want to take the camera body and two or three lenses. I have never have had to put it down to get a lens out unlike the previous poster, even the the 70-210 mm f2.8 is easily retrieved by swinging the slingshot over my hip and unzipping the flap. Its sits perfect at lower chest level and I can access what I need and put away whats redundant, certainly much more practical than the lowenpro rucksack I have.

will the 200 take a body with 70-200 attached?

Not with my f2.8 unless there is a way to jig it that i havent figured out yet

I'm sure it'll fit eventually - you just have to start yanking out the dividers (they all come out). I've already pulled one out of mine and expect to have to pull one more.

Of course, if you do pull all the dividers to make a big lens fit, it does rather defeat the point. :)

I'm sure it'll fit eventually - you just have to start yanking out the dividers (they all come out). I've already pulled one out of mine and expect to have to pull one more.

Of course, if you do pull all the dividers to make a big lens fit, it does rather defeat the point. :)

I'm into zoo photography so the 70-200 sigma f2.8 and my sony are usually seperated on the way too and from the zoo. When I'm at the zoo the body is usually round my neck with whatever lens attached so it isnt an issue, if I take the larger lens off it sits comfortably in the 200AW. I work as a volunteer at a zoo where a lot of my shots get used for publicity, if I'm going primarily to take photographs then I need a larger bag for the 150-500 Sigma

The slingshot 200 is a one way ticket to sore shouldersville... (for me anyway!) :p

I'm looking for a bag that has got good weight distribution yet has good ventilation (for hot countries). Still haven't found it. Not that I've had the time to look beyond google...

sorry i did mean the sigma if that helps..

might have to look at the 300aw then,

The 300 takes my D80 with mb-d80 and siggy 70-200 F/2.8 fitted no problem.
Plus i get the 18-70, 70-300, 30mm and my sb-600 in it no problem.
Plenty of room in the top for all the cokin p mount stuff, plus remote release, mini gorilla pod, food for the kids etc etc.

Can even take the D80 with the sigma 100-300 at a push.

Back