Answered Slow images?

EJB

Name
Ted
Edit My Images
Yes
FWIW....When scrolling down through the images on a forum (eg. Photos General) as the scrolling stops it takes a second or more for the image/images to appear. Prior to the server change there was no a delay.....As I say FWIW. :)

I'm not seeing that having just done some tests. A lot of images are actually links to flickr and so not served from our server so it could be a flickr problem, or may be your broadband is having the night off to watch the footie :)

I’m getting this as well and it’s the images hosted on TP that are slow to load rather than Flickr. A lot of threads I don’t get the whole of the first image on the thread in the post but the rest appear eventually but all load up ok when you click on them. I’ve been away for the weekend in Derbyshire but now back in Lincs and it’s been the same in both areas on Wi-fi and mobile (all on iPhone though). This is all feedback rather than criticism but hopefully you all realise that. Top job so far :)

Just tested it, no problem here, desk top with an average speed of 30 mbps

I'm not seeing it either, both flickr and tp hosted images are showing almost instantly (iMac i5/24Gb, 54Mbbs)
Can you provide forum, thread and post number examples to test please?

1st random example from my history (hopefully the op doesn’t mind me using it) 1st image just shows a letterbox type sliver of the top of the image but shows if I click on it Here , Hope that helps if not it’s looking like it’s my phone :)

1st random example from my history (hopefully the op doesn’t mind me using it) 1st image just shows a letterbox type sliver of the top of the image but shows if I click on it Here , Hope that helps if not it’s looking like it’s my phone :)
It loaded fully and instantly for me
Have you tried clearing the cashe?

Last edited:
That’s really weird because I’ve just tried again and it’s instant for me now as well :thinking:

The site is now on a cloud based service, it could just be that caches need to update etc. things ought to settle down over a few days.

That’s really weird because I’ve just tried again and it’s instant for me now as well :thinking:
Your second viewing was already on your phone.;)

Flickr images never affected.
Caches cleared....2 PCs, 1 Laptop all Windows 10.
Only TP images affected.
Scroll down any 'Photo' forum...from : General ....to..... : For Pleasure.
Not a problem I post for info only :)

Scroll down any 'Photo' forum...from : General ....to..... : For Pleasure.
When you say scroll down any Photo forum, are you just scrolling the list of forums or are you opening a thread in a forum and scrolling the thread. Which ever it is not a problem I can recreate

Sorry.
In one forum on one page.....scroll down the right hand side to see the latest posts....I actually place my cursor near the bottom ( Above the down arrow) and hold click to scroll down automatically to the newer images.....it's much faster than click holding the arrow at the bottom of the page.
Do hope that makes sense...I'm out!

I'm guessing you mean "Thread" rather than forum,
this is a forum
1626086047340.png

This is a thread
1626086151356.png

I do the same as you to scroll to the bottom but I don't get any delays. How long a delay are you experiencing, minutes, seconds, less than a second?

Sorry,
Forum...Thread...Page.....Scroll.
As suggested delays are only a second...more or less.

I managed to reproduce that finally. Like you said, it's sub-second (variable) but there is a slight delay. We'll keep an eye on that

Reactions: EJB
Just noticed that this 'little problem' has now been cleared....or probably the site has caught up with it's migration. :)

That’s what I’ve been getting lately possibly only when I click on an image in Recent Photo Discussions, and possibly only when there are several images in the post. Since it’s been happening I’ve noticed that ‘normally’ the images load with a slight hesitancy in after the top sliver loads, very fast and something one would not normally notice.

Reloading the page has no effect but if you click on it and it goes to Flickr then it will have loaded in TP on return.

This is an example that has just appeared (iPad, current OS) only the first photo is ever affected:

1634335752504.png

Recent Photo Discussions, and possibly only when there are several images in the post.

I've just run through a random selection of both flickr hosted images and attached images.
both a few and "image heavy" threads.
There's no delay here, @ 32Mb/s Have you checked your speed just to rule that out?

I've just run through a random selection of both flickr hosted images and attached images.
both a few and "image heavy" threads.

Yes, it’s much the same here, that one was the only one of the 6 or so I tried after it happened ;(.

Not a big deal, only posted when I saw someone else had experienced it.
There's no delay here, @ 32Mb/s Have you checked your speed just to rule that out?
32 down 8.5 up. It doesn’t usually vary from that unless it fails completely and needs a reboot. The fact that other other images load OK probably rules that out. Could be a ‘feature’ of my iPad Pro 10.5 which I suppose is getting on a bit.

Thought I’d mention it in case there was an obvious (to you) explanation.

Still doing this on my iPad for some images.
That is actually a very large image, not sure how it beat the forum re-size TBH.
I think we maybe need to revisit that.

Its only 300Kb
but over 2000px x over 1300px.

That is actually a very large image, not sure how it beat the forum re-size TBH.
I think we maybe need to revisit that.

Its only 300Kb
but over 2000px x over 1300px.
That loads instantly for me (iPad)

What I find odd (while I accept it may be a problem local to me and others) is that, for example the “Grandtully” post I showed a screenshot of earlier has 5 or 6 images immediately following the one that doesn’t load and they appear to load instantly while the first remains ‘hung’ ;(.

It’s just happened again with this thread

But in this case it was the last one that wouldn’t load. I tried reloading the page repeatedly but nothing, it was stuck. When I clicked on it it opened in Flickr in a new tab, no problem. Going back to the original page it had then loaded.

Actually I remember seeing something similar but different with this post a couple of days ago:

Again last image but this time the little box and X which takes you to a valid image in Flickr but today doesn’t reload the original which I’m fairly sure it did last time. May be something completely different :(

1634572373724.jpeg

It’s just happened again with this thread
Again, by the time I opened the link they were all there.

May be something completely different :(
I see the little red X in the thread too, I suggest that its a Flickr issue

Again, by the time I opened the link they were all there.

I see the little red X in the thread too, I suggest that its a Flickr issue
I fancy that all the images that part loaded may have been on Flickr, I’m pretty sure several of them were. Maybe the whole thing is a Flickr issue or TP/Flickr issue ;).. As I said earlier the only way to get them to load is to click so they load on new tab (prob flickr) and then they load in TP.

I’ll leave it there, its not a big problem, just curious. Cheers for looking at it!

Back