Slow performance...

Name
Marty
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

I'm just about at my wits end when it comes to processing RAW files. I used Aperture for a few weeks to organize and do some RAW adjustments and when I dragged a slider it was 'sticky' for lack of a better term.

So, I downloaded the Lr 2.6 trial to try that. Imported some .CR2 files and I have the same issue. Previews are still slow, sliders are still 'sticky' however I prefer the UI.

Next up was good old Camera RAW 5.0 in Photoshop CS4... Everything flies; zooming in and out is instant, sliders move around quickly/smoothly and you can see the results as you move them as you'd expect.

I can't understand why Aperture and Lr are so sluggish - any ideas???

You need at least 3gig of RAM nowadays.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Downloaded the Cache Cleaner and ran all the options it had but sadly it didn't do anything with regards to speeding either app up. :(

Machine Specs:

Apple Mac Pro (Jan '09, but it's the 2008 Model)
2x 3.2GHz Quad-Xeon
10Gb DDR800
2Tb RAID0
nVidia 8800GT 512Mb

Should be more than capable of what I'm doing surely?!!

I also find LR slow, on much lower spec iMac. (2.4 duo, 4GB ram). Importing is painful although not using the keyboard USB has helped a little.

But like you, if I use stuff like image capture and PS and it flies. I'm just getting used to the benefits of LR thought, so I'd like it to be faster.

Believe me I've been tempted at times... :D

Hardware is fine, its only these two apps where it struggles. I just don't understand why though, I mean Camera Raw works great but the Develop module in Lr is really laggy.

Can you adjust how much RAM it can use or adjust any performance preferences like in Ps?

How many shots do you have loaded into Lightroom? I do find it becomes boggy very quickly and so only keep loaded the shoots I'm currently working on. I use the optimise tool every week or so and it stays fairly nippy :)

I also find LR slow, on much lower spec iMac. (2.4 duo, 4GB ram). Importing is painful although not using the keyboard USB has helped a little.

But like you, if I use stuff like image capture and PS and it flies. I'm just getting used to the benefits of LR thought, so I'd like it to be faster.

Phew, glad I'm not the only one! You're iMac should be more than capable of doing imaging editing too though!

Importing speed is pretty fast on mine though...

How many shots do you have loaded into Lightroom? I do find it becomes boggy very quickly and so only keep loaded the shoots I'm currently working on. I use the optimise tool every week or so and it stays fairly nippy :)

Sitting at 832 at the moment which is more than I thought, but only about 150 of those are CR2 files...

Where about do I find the optimise tool? Sounds promising...

You're iMac should be more than capable of doing imaging editing too though!

Where about do I find the optimise tool? Sounds promising...

Yes it should. It's ok once they're in, and I mean ok not great, like you say it's nowhere near as good as PS raw converter, which just seems odd to me.

800 odd files is nowt for a LR catalogue, but CMD ALT comma. relaunch and optimise. Helped mine a bit but still not enough.

Ah, thanks for the info. Ran the optimise feature, didn't do much to speed it up though.

I thinking it may just be as slow as yours and perhaps that's normal?

Might just stick to Bridge and Camera RAW, the difference in speed is like night and day.

I think we're both in the same boat, worrying something's wrong that may not be.

LR has some major advantages though, the way it catalogues pictures basically means you don't have to, virtual copies can be extremely useful and take up no extra storage, raw workflow is more efficient (or would be) and it creates slideshows and web albums with your own presets.

There's a lot of stuff there that I'd like to be able to make full use of. I'm just hoping Adobe know it's buggy and will be ironing out the creases.

LR 2.6 is plenty fast on my 2.9GHz Core 2 iMac with 4GB RAM.

Files vary in size between 10-250MB dependant on whether it's a small DNG or a multilayer .tiff.

The only time it bogs down is if I try to jump around with adjustment brushes too quickly.

I've got 6K images in my catalogue, and all the images are on the local disk. If I move them to an external disk (USB or NAS) then it all gets a bit bogged down...

Done a bit of Googling on this subject and it seems a few Mac users have the same problem and others don't. Which is a bit strange really...

However, I got on tip that certainly improved the performance on mine. Go to the applications folder, right-click (or cmd+click) on Lightroom, select Get Info.

Now on the new dialogue box, uncheck 'Open in 32-bit Mode' and then close the dialogue box.

Open Lr up and try it out. On mine it has pretty much eliminated the non-responsive sliders which made doing any fine tweaks impossible and previews also render much quicker. (y)

I was about to post that, as Lightroom is still pretty speedy on my 2 year old Macbook.

Marty, I had a similar issue recently on my Quad Core 2.4, 8Gb DDR800, GeForce 8800GTX rig where LR2 and Macromedia Flash were running like dogs but all my other apps (CS4, games, etc) were flying.

After lots of testing I discovered the problem was my monitor ICC profiles. Once I had changed those to sRGB (and then later to a calibrated profile) LR2 and Flash ran perfectly. In the process I also updated all my monitor and GFX drivers so that may also have had a bearing.

I'm running Windows 7 but XP and Vista are the same or similar. To change your ICC Profiles, right click desktop and select "Screen Resolution" (or Display Properties in XP I think) and then "Advanced Settings". Click on the "Colour Management" tab and then the button of the same name. Remove all monitor profiles except the one you want (sRGB or a calibrated profile) for each of your monitors and reboot.

See if that helps.

Edit: I've just noticed you've found a fix and that you're on Mac... I'll leave this up in case it helps any windows users with the same issue. (y)

Back